chimney making

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Aluminium flues are only recommended for use with gas appliances.

You could try it but I think its a pretty bad idea.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
exactly what he said..........my homemade woodburner has a stainless steel flue pipe that's been seen to glow bright red on occasion, i'm no metalurgist but i have a funny feeling that ali starts getting kind of runny in that kind of heat.

stuart

Or you could be spot on. Steel gets pretty red at about 760C. Aluminium melts at about 660C.

(amazing what you can find out with a quick google).

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Or you could be spot on. Steel gets pretty red at about 760C. Aluminium melts at about 660C.

(amazing what you can find out with a quick google).

the googlefu is strong with this one!

when considering aluminum as a material for stoves and the like i always try to think back to my first (and only) set of army mess tins. i decided (with the wisdom of youth) that if i got a set of mess tins and put a potato inside them and then buried the whole lot underneath a fire then i'd end up with a lovely jacket potato. i was kind of right, the potato did end up with a lovely jacket, a lovey aluminum jacket. it was really quite pretty but not something that i'd count amongst my more successfull cooking experiments.

stuart

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
A topic related question, what is the smallest diameter pipe that is functional as a chimney on a woodburning stove?
Would 2" work or will it just choke the fire?

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
sorry for the delay , had some probs to sort out. alliminium defanatly a no go , an answer to husky, I use 60mm pipe and it works fine ,
nenook

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE