chimney making

C

chopper123

hi all need a bit of advise
or open to any ideas you may have

ive got a 6 foot alluminium pipe its about 4 or 5 inches across so im thinking would make a great chimney for a stove
but
i would like to carry it in the stove untill i get to site then put it together sort of thing
but if i cut it into say foot sectiones how then would you sugest i put it together i havnt got any swaging tools or nothing so any other ideas please
cheers

C

chopper123

yeah i thought that but was just wondering any other way as its 6 foot lenth and is thin alloy but strong if you get me so would be ideal to use what i got if theres any way

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
I think what woodspirit is saying is get some smaller or larger pipe and use that to make sleeves to connect the one you have together. ie cut your pipe into small lengths and use small sections of a very slightly bigger/smaller pipe as joiners. I assume that's what woodspirit was getting at??

C

chopper123

ok thanks i got what he said
also ive got loads of stainless steel fold out pot fire stands and steel jerry cans here will have to get them advertised

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what sort of stove do you intend to use with this because the pipe sounds a bit wide for a small stove etc....depending on the thickness of the metal you could flare the ends with a wine bottle or steel pipe or rod, you could even use a round piece of wood, just make sure there are no sharp edges to cut into alley.....

take it slow and keep testing the size for how it fits.......

hope this helps.

chris..............

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
chopper said 4-5 inches, i mean in relation to a "small" stove, ammo tin or gas bottle type, it just sounds a bit wide to me for a stove of that type IMO.... again it all depends on the stove size.....

regards.

chris.....

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
I know that you can get silicone pipe joiners, don't know if you can get the right diameter but if they do they would work, also they are rated up to a high temp so would cope with the heat.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
can't find the silicone ones online at that big a diameter but there's this

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hose-joiners-prod22310/?src=froogle

dunno about the heat though if this is plastic. how thick is the metal ie wall thickness? you could cut into sections and on one end of each piece get it on a lathe and take it down a couple of mm so it slips inside the next section. very easy job if you have a lathe or access to one, if I still worked in the engineering workshop that I used to I would have done it for you.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Would you be able to cut the pipe into sections then take and angle grinder to say the bottom 2-3 inches, cut 4 slits in the sections one end only so you can make that end slightly smaller by pushing it into the other end of the following pipe?

All depends on how much the pipe with flex/compress

Hope Ive explained clearly

C

chopper123

hi chambers i thought about that but dont think it would seal properly doing that and would get
smoke comming out i think
the side walls of the alloy tube are about 3 or 4 mm thick at a guess
this but not very flexable

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Would you be able to cut the pipe into sections then take and angle grinder to say the bottom 2-3 inches, cut 4 slits in the sections one end only so you can make that end slightly smaller by pushing it into the other end of the following pipe?

All depends on how much the pipe with flex/compress

Hope Ive explained clearly

I reckon do this, then run a bead of plumber's (high-temp) silicone into the slits - that would seal it.

You don't nee perfect seals once a flue starts drawing.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Not so sure I would want to use aluminium for a flue at all...

exactly what he said..........my homemade woodburner has a stainless steel flue pipe that's been seen to glow bright red on occasion, i'm no metalurgist but i have a funny feeling that ali starts getting kind of runny in that kind of heat. i'd be very wary of using ali in a stove at all.

that said, i may well be wrong, i often am

stuart

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hi chopper 123 , when alluminium get's hot it changes its compound this is called anealling, this is what i did , find an independant exhaust fitter and ask them to cut and flare out some 60mm pipe for you £ 30-40 approx for 7 lenghts at 14 inches long , if you have no luck , im in stafford , il get them done for you and as your only in telford you can pick them up from my house, and pay me then , if you want , hope this helps

nenook

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......when alluminium get's hot it changes its compound this is called anealling.....

so are you saying that ali pipe is ok for a chimney then? as i say, i'm no expert on the subject at all i always just felt that an ali chimney would melt. i'm hoping i'm about to be put right here TBH, i can see some pretty massive weight savings taking place if i am

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE