children and fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
my 6 year old daughter lit her first fire with a fire steel on boxing day :ekt: :-D

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
yeah i was really proud of her and even better she pulled her own tinder bundle of shredded bark out of her pocket where she had put it to dry,all her own idea too :-D

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good girl - wont be long before shes bow drilling! Never ceases to amaze me how kids are drawn to fire - and interestingly enough - if they are shown and allowed to light fires safety they grow up with a health respect for it.

Shame all these young arsonist who burn down vast stretches of moorland each year arent as sensible!

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i lighted tissue's wenn i was small, i think i was 6 or something... with a lighter... in the living room..... on the carpet... :roll: ...burned a hole in it... :oops:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
On the Saturday of the Scout winter camp last weekend some other leaders and I decided to build a fire to sit around at about 5.00 pm. We thought that it would attract a bit of interest, and that's all we got - a bit. Most of the other leaders stayed in the Marquee and nearly all the scouts (about 70 of them) went to the Disco or the film shows.

now, as far as I'm concerned having a fire to sit around is what makes a camp something special, and one a wonderfully relaxing way of passing the time. However I was up against showings of X-Men 2 and showing off in front of girls on the dancefloor; so no contest, really!

On the other hand, those Scouts and leaders that did come to the fire were that nearly all night, did their bit in collecting firewood, and seemed to enjoy just being there; and we all chilled together...

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i have yet to go to a school and done science where i haven't set fire to something. even my computer mouse started smoking. this shouldn't happen they only have 5V going through them

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Fire is a great teacher - not just for kids. I think if you can teach kids to build and light them properly (and manage them) they will be less inclined to do it when it causes problems.

Lessons taught include:-

"Why wont it light", "why has it gone out", "why wont this burn", "why cant I see/why am i crying" and "Ouch that burns".

All sound like good lessons to me. :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE