Chicken of the woods on old wild cherry stump

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
ive eaten this before. straight from the tree, after slicing thinly and cooking on the embers of the fire and adding to chicken soup. It was a nice result. I've also been a bit flash. I cut it into chip sized chunks, used salt, pepper and smoked paprika, then fried the chicken chips in the pan. Now, those were really nice!

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
So I did a combination of the above, fried in a bit of flora with salt pepper and the smoked paprika....

I will be looking out for this more often, great bit of seasonal food.

Thanks for the advice.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Bloody lovely, firm texture, sliced into strips about 5mm.
There's a bit more where it came from but I don't want to be greedy and take it all.

Glad I finally tried it, certainly on my favourite foraging list.

One question though, can the wood it grows on change the flavour?

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Mmm not sure. I guess you'd think the wood would affect the flavour but I'm not expert. Glad you enjoyed it. It's one of my favorites. I used to collect some off the same tree in the town park every year for about 4 years. But then one day, the council chopped the host tree down to make room for three car parking spaces! Gutted I was...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mmm not sure. I guess you'd think the wood would affect the flavour but I'm not expert. Glad you enjoyed it. It's one of my favorites. I used to collect some off the same tree in the town park every year for about 4 years. But then one day, the council chopped the host tree down to make room for three car parking spaces! Gutted I was...

It's likely the council tree officer had been monitoring that tree as CotW causes heart rot. As it was in a public place it would have been felled for safety reasons.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
It's likely the council tree officer had been monitoring that tree as CotW causes heart rot. As it was in a public place it would have been felled for safety reasons.
If the safety reason included extending a car park by three spaces then yes.......lol ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE