Chicken coop (Any ideas)

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
We keep 7 birds, no idea what type they are, in an area of about 7x7m. If they stay on the same patch as ours do they will strip every bit of vegetation from it. We bought two chicken coups but found that all the birds only use one anyway so with 2-5 birds you should be fine with only one coup. No need for a male unless you want fertilized eggs. We feed them on kitchen scraps, crushed egg shells and comercial feed as a top up. We messed around with different water systems that we bought but ended up using an old 100L plastic box. For the feed we buy in, we do use a feeder we bought which works quite well.

There is not a great deal of science involved in it. Over here chickens are common and coups are made from just about anything.

WoodWildling

Forager
Oct 16, 2008
New Forest
www.bigskyliving.co.uk
we kept rhode island red x sussex for a couple of years - very friendly birds and good layers too. Hens do go broody tho' even with no cockerel around so you must make sure the broody eats and drinks otherwise she could starve sitting on her imaginary eggs. should'nt last too long tho'
remember to store feed away from rats etc..
chickens are actually quite useful for discoraging rats because they peck up all the spilt bird seed/scraps etc...
they're terrible timewasters :¬)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I think with two hens that extra bird may not be inevetable...., won't you need a male also?

Just cottoned on to that!

I ment when people find out you have em you always seem to be offered some free!

Anyone any idea on perch space?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE