Chestnut Bread Board

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Managed to get some large diameter Sweet Chestnut recently, so decided to make a new board for simple food preparation and baking bannock.
I wanted the minimum of waste so I used the woods natural splitting ability as best as possible carefully using a hatchet and baton from both ends of the log. Hardly any thinning was needed so hopefully I can make several more from the same log, where the grain strength allows.

100_3697.jpg

100_3698.jpg

Its nothing fancy just an attempt at splitting well, and obtaining a good surface finish just with axe and knife. The axe used as a plane was very effective. I'm trying to think of a nice pattern to decorate to top section with inner birch bark dust.
Now what sort of bannock to bake ? : )

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Nice job. I would worry about its natural splitting ability working against you with repeated wetting and drying. I used elm for my last board for this reason. Although I guess a breadbord doesn't need to be soaked, just sponged off occasionally.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very tidy :approve: looks really useful too :D

Chestnut has a reputation of shaking, but I have a spinning wheel and a plank backed spinning chair made of chestnut, and in all the nearly thirty years I've had, and used them, I have never had a bit of bother with either of them.

Oak too can be split (used for basketry like that) but oak furniture lasts for hundreds of years.

I think it's more how it's worked that's the splitting/not splitting potential tbh. Hit it end on to the grain and apply a little leverage and it'll cleave neatly, don't do that and it's sound :)

cheers,
Toddy

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks guys. Hopefully there will be no problems with it as the grain runs through the board.
S chestnut is a great tree, plenty of them in my local woods and I love the twisty stems, nuts and autumn colour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE