Chef Gordon Ramsay hunts, butchers, and cooks a feral pig.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
One of my favorite chefs that I have learned much from in the realm of cooking is a British guy named Gordon Ramsay. Also, as I've mentioned in a previous thread or two, here in the USA we have a bit of a feral pig problem that is getting completely out of control. There are literally millions of these things running around.

So, Gordon Ramsay traveled to Ft. Benning, a US military base in the state of Georgia, went on a feral pig hunt, then butchered and cooked the meat.

For the sensitive, don't worry, the video doesn't actually show them shooting the pig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5x0nxtqVs
[video=youtube;6p5x0nxtqVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5x0nxtqVs[/video]

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We have a similar type of show over here, although its a bit more graphic... its called Kill It, Cook It, Eat It. They show pretty much every part of the process and its a fascinating show (ironically given another debate on the forum, its funded by the BBC... they do make some good content nowadays) but the most interesting part of the show is the people who do eat meat who have no idea what it takes to get a slab of meat on the plate.

I reckon it should be part of the national education system to at the very least take kids to an abattoir... show them where their food comes from, how it is killed and prepared for human consumption. The best would be to take kids out to kill an animal, skin it, gut it and butcher it themselves... but then I'm presuming the education system is designed to actually educate :p

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good for G. Ramsay. I'd take any chance to go on a feral pig hunt. Build the fire.

What bothers me is that city people are fearful of the "blood thirsty hunter types."
Like you say Dewi = what do they think goes on in an abattoir?

"Kill It & Grill It" is an excellent wild meats cookbook, written by Ted Nugent ("The Nuge") and his wife, Shemane.
Must admit, very good recipes. The real humor is in the chapter: Hassenpfeffer by Glock.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
We have a similar type of show over here, although its a bit more graphic... its called Kill It, Cook It, Eat It. They show pretty much every part of the process and its a fascinating show (ironically given another debate on the forum, its funded by the BBC... they do make some good content nowadays) but the most interesting part of the show is the people who do eat meat who have no idea what it takes to get a slab of meat on the plate.

I reckon it should be part of the national education system to at the very least take kids to an abattoir... show them where their food comes from, how it is killed and prepared for human consumption. The best would be to take kids out to kill an animal, skin it, gut it and butcher it themselves... but then I'm presuming the education system is designed to actually educate :p

I found Kill It, Cook It, Eat It on YouTube. Thanks for the heads up on that.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I found Kill It, Cook It, Eat It on YouTube. Thanks for the heads up on that.

You might retract that when you see what they do to the little piggies :p

I'd gladly buy that series on a DVD as I think my two youngest kids will benefit from seeing it in a couple of years. Showing them where their food comes from is important.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My little kids, 30-something professionals now, asked me to "show them the heart." The only piece which mattered.
After that, it was raw food which needed preparation. At supper time, I used to talk to them about the sky and the water
and the land and the forests which make our food.
Maybe that sounds corny. But, they live and work in BIG cities and they have not forgotten the old man in his little village.
I send them craggy mountain pictures around home, I know they pass those around.
Perhaps I'm lucky, maybe I did it right. My kids understand killing and food.
Carrot or trout = exactly the same thing.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
My upbringing was rural. I learned at an early age that you don't name critters you will be eating during the winter.

The feral pig meat I've shot here locally outclasses anything I've ever tasted that was domesticated. It's common for you or your friends to simply run out of freezer space so you call or get a call, "Want some feral hog meat?"

One person I know has the contract to clear the local airport of feral pigs. Normally you are not allowed to shoot within 1000ft of an FAA controlled airport, so the pigs just run amok there. So he goes out and shoots them at night with a night vision scope. He just drops the carcasses off in the morning at the county landfill. Something in his government contract says he can't sell or distribute the meat.

Many really aren't too big which makes handling them easier. Some of the ones you shoot or see dead besides the road are just about big enough to saddle and ride. On a rare occasion they get monstrous. I've seen one in person that size. It was dead beside the high about 20 miles south of Victoria, Texas. From a distance I initially thought it was a dead cow. One thing that makes them a bit dangerous in the bush is that their tusks rub against each other, constantly sharpening themselves.

The feral pigs here are a mix of domesticated varieties, the German wild boar, and the Russian wild boar. The domesticated pigs escaped from farms. The two varieties of wild boars were released into the environment here ages ago to make for good sport hunting. The wild pig population is increasing at a rate of about 40% a year.

One of the best ways I've found to prepare feral pig quickly is to boil a piece or pieces in a large pot, bone and all. You add spices and vinegar. The vinegar tenderizes the meat and after a bit it just pulls off the bone. Barbecue sauce, if you want it, you add after you finish cooking. There are two schools of thought on barbecue sauce, one you add during cooking and one you add after cooking. After cooking tends to be easier and less messy and works well when boiling the meat.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
My upbringing was rural. I learned at an early age that you don't name critters you will be eating during the winter.

From an early age I learned that the livestock I named would be loaded up into a trailer, taken to the abattoir, killed and the resulting meat would be bagged for the freezer with its name written on the freezer bag.

Once you understand that Flossy is bred for meat, it isn't a problem.

It can be a problem when you name one Derek and six months later you have bags of meat with Derek written on them in your freezer. Can lead to awkward conversations with house guests.

Trotsky

From an early age I learned that the livestock I named would be loaded up into a trailer, taken to the abattoir, killed and the resulting meat would be bagged for the freezer with its name written on the freezer bag.

Once you understand that Flossy is bred for meat, it isn't a problem.

It can be a problem when you name one Derek and six months later you have bags of meat with Derek written on them in your freezer. Can lead to awkward conversations with house guests.

Priceless!

My better half has stopped taking me into Pets at Home etc because of me pointing out rabbits and guinea pigs and saying stuff like "look, dinner!" or "bet that one would taste nice". I broached the subject of keeping them for their meat and got a very hard Paddington stare.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Priceless!

My better half has stopped taking me into Pets at Home etc because of me pointing out rabbits and guinea pigs and saying stuff like "look, dinner!" or "bet that one would taste nice". I broached the subject of keeping them for their meat and got a very hard Paddington stare.

Sounds like the reason my son doesn't like shopping with me. I was stopped by a charity mugger for the WWF. After explaining to them that they ruined 90's wrestling for me, I then went on to explain why it will be tough to get people to give them money... because none of the animals they had on their guilt poster were bred for meat. My son just walked away when I suggested the turtle on their poster was probably the tastiest, and given the way polar bears go mental over eating seals, they were probably my second choice for mass breeding for human consumption.

In fairness the charity muggers were being particularly pushy and telling me what I should think... if I failed to agree with them I was a bad person. I left them with the thought that if they want to ask people for money for charity, it was probably best not to do it in an £800 suit. They were not best happy.

Trotsky

Sounds like the reason my son doesn't like shopping with me. I was stopped by a charity mugger for the WWF. After explaining to them that they ruined 90's wrestling for me, I then went on to explain why it will be tough to get people to give them money... because none of the animals they had on their guilt poster were bred for meat. My son just walked away when I suggested the turtle on their poster was probably the tastiest, and given the way polar bears go mental over eating seals, they were probably my second choice for mass breeding for human consumption.

In fairness the charity muggers were being particularly pushy and telling me what I should think... if I failed to agree with them I was a bad person. I left them with the thought that if they want to ask people for money for charity, it was probably best not to do it in an £800 suit. They were not best happy.

I like the way your mind works. I try my best to avoid the charity muggers but, it's getting to the time of year where they come around knocking on doors here. I try to be polite since I know by the look of most of them that they're poor buggers who've been conned into the role by the job centre and they're driven in by the bus load to pester folks at tea time. I think I shall try your angle next time and weird them out till they naff off.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Wonder why they to the U.S. an filmed it,when there's plenty of wild boar running around the uk?

How much paperwork is involved to shoot a wild pig in the UK?

In the US the government in some places is paying the shooter a bounty. In some places the official policy is simply 'shoot on sight'.

They shot it on a military base so all they had to do was call the commanding officer or his superior and ask for permission. No licenses or other paperwork needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE