Cheese Based Question aimed at Colonials.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No, but MJ is basically one of the Mexican cheeses. As you know Cali was well settled by the Spanish hundreds of years before in was taken by the US in mid 1800’ so the local food production was grared to the Spanish cuisine.
Colby is an cheddar before aging. The stuff before it becomes Cheddar.
I forgot - cheeze curds. Those are US or canadian? Is there something similar in Europe?

I had to do a search, the Mexican cheese with the X is in fact Oaxaca.

Also, the processed cheese was invented in 1911 in Switzerland.
Those delicious triangles ( Laughing Cow is one) are cheese based.Most, if not all, European processed cheeses are cheese based.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Time you went to visit your S1 in Toronto and scored some real cheese curds in real Poutine.
That is as Canadian as Alberta Premium Rye Whiskey.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, I am going in two weeks to Toronto!!!
Son needs some parental Tender Loving Care (= us spending money on him. Buying winterwheels and tyres to the car we bought him, me buying a proper cast Iron ribbed pan to him.)

Any good adress for the best Poutine?
I had some in Montreal some years back. Waist line still not back to where it was before the Poutine and Smoked Meat orgies!

Do you know where I can buy (in Toronto) a good quality (North American made ) black and red checquered winter jacket, plus a nice fur hat?

Not vegetarian or vegan fur. The real deal.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Stay away from any poutine labelled "Chicago-style" or "Boston style", they want you to think they invented it.

I'll guess you start with Mark's Work Wearhouse for clothes.
They will have both Carhartt and their house brand Dakota ( not bad and somewhat cheaper.)

Cabela's just got bought out by Bass Pro Shops so either one might need a look.
Wholesale Sports is going belly-up, too.
Sears has filed for bankruptsy. Maybe some of the funky Hudson's Bay winter stuff.

To be perfectly honest? Cut to the chase and pick out a coat from Carhartt.
Get the sand color. The dark chocolate color shows every speck of crap you ever ran into.

Ain't PC to wear fur BUT the real deal is the real deal.
You plan to lug that stuff to Norway?
I'd be shopping for Sami clothes.

If I ever get up to Pangnirtung, Tuktoyaktuk or Yellowknife,
I'll come home looking lik an Inuit.
Tuk is about to get an all season road!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No Sami whete I go, and the local craftsmen and ladies work on wool.

I would prefer the classic checkuered (black and red) jacket, as I am a fashion hound. Well, not really to be honest, but wife hates me when I walk around the village in my somewhat smelly Helly Hansen survival fishing overall!

I will look into Carhart if I can not find the checkered one.

I bought some clothes at Bass Pro Shops but find the quality a bit low. Ok in summer.

I need some line and lures, so will go anyway. Plus they sell good sausage casings, and sausage and jerk spices!

I look forward visiting your country!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You're welcome any time. Bring money. Our dollar is in the toilet so you should do well.

If my memory serves, the Hudson's Bay Company makes and sells the red/black and green/black check jackets that you want.
Don't know who sews them up but the Pendleton wool mill in Oregon makes the cloth.
On my side of the 49th, we still get HBC woven woolen goods made in the UK.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Scottish Cheddar, New York Cheddar? Cheddar is in Somerset UK!

You'll be talking about Cornish Brie next!

NB, no cheese has ever been made in Stilton. True or false?

It was but then the boundarys changed and now if it's made there it can't be called stilton.

What about Canadian cheddar. Very highly rated over here.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds like you're looking for a mackinaw
Mackinaw-Cruiser-Jacket-by-Filson.jpg

e07fec08-b109-4809-ad63-fc8de4d78f66

e07fec08-b109-4809-ad63-fc8de4d78f66

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No, but MJ is basically one of the Mexican cheeses. As you know Cali was well settled by the Spanish hundreds of years before in was taken by the US in mid 1800’ so the local food production was grared to the Spanish cuisine.
Colby is an cheddar before aging. The stuff before it becomes Cheddar.
I forgot - cheeze curds. Those are US or canadian? Is there something similar in Europe?

I had to do a search, the Mexican cheese with the X is in fact Oaxaca......

Yeah Cali was originally a Spanish colony then a Mexican State. I said as much a few posts upstream. Much of the Southeast was either Spanish or French originally. But that was centuries ago.

Never had Oaxaca that I know of; although I never asked what was being served in restaurants. In any case, I am fond of Mexican cheeses.

To the best of my knowledge "cheese curds" are a Wisconsin thing. They're not popular down here (in fact I'd never heard of them until a Wisconsin friend brought some back)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Poutine is Quebec. Fact. The cultural dish can be claimed by nobody else.

Despite the fact that Wisconsin isn't that far away.
I suspect it was more of a cultural community connection.
So what's American and what's Canadian is pww in the wind.

Cheese curds are global. No more or less than a part of the process.
Just like nobody has any claim to the "clean break" step in cheese making.

BCUK people: I have to admit that I've had far better cheddar and other cheeses
in Britain than I can get here at home. Some really old Canadian cheddar from Armstrong
does taste good. Wine soaked cheddar from the USask Dairy farm is unique.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I love Cheddar. Matured for as long as possible. US and Canadian versions ate good melted on bread.
Slices of white bread. A slice of ham or what you in the colonied call Summer Sausage. A bit mustard. Cheese on top, as much as your Cholesterol level permits. Into the oven.
Beer to flush it down.
Desert - a Statin tablet.

That is the jacket I want. Cslled Buffalo Check in Canada.
Do the buffalo like people dressed in those? Like to chase them?

Cheddar is underrated in Europe.
The Antipodean colonies make good Cheddar too!

The English Coast Cheddar is good. Well prized too, at our local Cost-u-Less. Half prise from Waitrose strength 6!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I love Cheddar. Matured for as long as possible. US and Canadian versions ate good melted on bread......

Only on bread? LOL. Macaroni & Cheese was expressly invented by Thomas Jefferson as a way to show off his cheddar.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Santaman2000? your daughter has to eat gluten free, I make GF macaroni (well, it's really whatever shaped gluten free past I can find) cheese. It's incredibly easy. Just take an oven proof dish, and for every cup of pasta add one and a half of milk or milky something or other, season it well, for 3 cups of dried pasta I stir in a cup and a half of grated cheddar and put it into a 200C oven for about forty minutes. If you don't like it very brown on top, cover with tinfoil for the first twenty minutes. Remove foil, then give the pasta and sauce a good stir, top with slices of tomatoes, herbs of choice and a good sprinkle of more cheddar and it'll toast off beautifully.
It sets very well as it rests when out of the oven.

Stick to your ribs comfort food :) and the pasta doesn't go sticky or slimy the way GF stuff can do either.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Only on bread? LOL. Macaroni & Cheese was expressly invented by Thomas Jefferson as a way to show off his cheddar.

Myth. Italian peninsula, late medieval.
As Italy eas the first European country that had pasta, mixing it with cheese and baking it is natural.

Think meat less Lasagna al forno! Basically the same.

Yep, on bread. It is Basically on open Croque Monsieur.
Or a much simplified version of Welsh Rarebit.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It was but then the boundarys changed and now if it's made there it can't be called stilton.

It's a trick question. Cheese was never made in Stilton. The cheese is named after the town that acted as a depot from which the cheeses were collected and distributed up and down the Great North Road (A1).

I do think is a shame that in the UK we do not have the "appelation controlee" laws that exist in France with equivalents in other countries. I agree that some of those other "cheddars" may taste good, but the variations are often distinct enough to warrant a name of their own. But then I also object to pilchards being marketed as "Cornish Sardines"!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman2000? your daughter has to eat gluten free, I make GF macaroni (well, it's really whatever shaped gluten free past I can find) cheese. It's incredibly easy. Just take an oven proof dish, and for every cup of pasta add one and a half of milk or milky something or other, season it well, for 3 cups of dried pasta I stir in a cup and a half of grated cheddar and put it into a 200C oven for about forty minutes. If you don't like it very brown on top, cover with tinfoil for the first twenty minutes. Remove foil, then give the pasta and sauce a good stir, top with slices of tomatoes, herbs of choice and a good sprinkle of more cheddar and it'll toast off beautifully.
It sets very well as it rests when out of the oven.

Stick to your ribs comfort food :) and the pasta doesn't go sticky or slimy the way GF stuff can do either.

Thanks Mary! I'm going to try that recipe!

To be honest though, the GF pastas have gotten much better the last 2 or 3 years. We especially like the ones made with brown rice flour. I usually make a cheese sauce by melting the cheese into a bechamel sauce first (obviously using a GF flour to make the roux) before adding the pasta.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Myth. Italian peninsula, late medieval.
As Italy eas the first European country that had pasta, mixing it with cheese and baking it is natural.......

Not the same thing, but the difference is as subtle as the difference in cheeses though.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Of course, but then it depends on what you set as a benchmark for Macaroni cheese.
Is Kraft the gold standard?
Or the classic English /European version?
My mother made a mean macaroni cheese. She used the standard cook macaroni (not fast cook), a cheese ( aged Gruyere) laden Béchamel and aged English Cheddar heaped on top.

Cheddar - maybe not the King of cheeses, but the Prince of cheeses for sure!

Processed cheese is different in Europe and the US. Cheese is a vital ingredient in the European ones.
One of the benefits for bushcrafters/nature trekkers is that it lasts well. The triangles or squares are individually Al foil packed ( virtually no rubbish to take home). Lasts for several days in perfect condition outside a fridge.
Baby Bel is good too, with the added benefit of that you can burn the wax packaging.

One processed cheese I used to take with me to the mountains was the Finnish "Forsfararen". It was quite hard, so easy to cut and did not get squashed.
I have not seen it for ages.
Made by Valio, a huge exporter of cheese to the US. One you can find in your shops is called 'Finlandia'. Emmenthaler type cheese. You call it Swiss cheese.

I buy it here a lot.
In Norway they make a similar one, called Tomat Ost ( tomato cheese). Equally good and long lasting. I buy it every time I go there and take home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE