Check out my chopper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
I fancied the idea of a kindling chopper for when we have a fire in the garden.

After a bit of hunting through the second hand tool websites, I came across this beauty. Blacksmith made with a lovely forge finish. It was listed as a meat cleaver but doesn't seem to fit this description really. It is a great kindling-splitter though ;). It made light work of birch up to 2 inch thick and feels very nice in the hand. 5" cutting edge, 12" overall.

I'm not entirely sure of the heat treat yet. There was a very slight roll on the edge but I'm not sure if that was before or after my birch cutting frenzy. I'll see when I next use it.

K

DSCI2298.JPGDSCI2301.JPGDSCI2302.JPG

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Unusual handle - I was expecting a stick Tang but even with how it is I'm finding it hard to understand how a handle would have been fitted to it as obviously no handle holes?

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Yes, quite heavy and the handle is as you see it. All one piece forged.

No real shock or vibration when chopping put prolonged use probably won't be so comfortable. For chopping a few twigs for the fire, it is great.

K

Reactions: Robson Valley

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Well although I'm a full time knife maker that uses stock removal, I'd agree with you about forged items. I do own quite a few forged bits myself and even enjoy forging.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE