Cheap Titanium heads-up

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
apart from the excessive price, what can you cook in a pot that big?

Tea / coffee
Soup
Pasta
Rice
Noodles
Anything out of a tin

I think it would accomodate quite a few peoples camp food easily. I`ll probably use mine for brewing up and making snack meals which is what I eat when I`m out anyway. Each to their own though. Either way you look at it, it`s a good price for a titanium pot of that size.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
... don't knock liquid fuel stoves, they do a grand job and don't limit you to camping in the woods, you can enjoy the glory of open land and still eat well:)

I wasn't knocking them. Everything has its place.

If you are crossing 1000km of a hot, dry country with no known paraffin resupply points
and you are trying to avoid large towns, then a light woodburner might make more sense.
You don't need to be in the woods in order to find a few small sticks to burn. and even in
the rain I've never failed to find enough fuel for a brew.

Everyone has their preference, and I'm not a big fan of soot, so I will often take a Pepsi
stove and a few millis of meths too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I wasn't knocking them. Everything has its place.

If you are crossing 1000km of a hot, dry country with no known paraffin resupply points
and you are trying to avoid large towns, then a light woodburner might make more sense.
You don't need to be in the woods in order to find a few small sticks to burn. and even in
the rain I've never failed to find enough fuel for a brew.

Everyone has their preference, and I'm not a big fan of soot, so I will often take a Pepsi
stove and a few millis of meths too.

But thats not going to happen in reality for 99.99 % of people though is it? Come up the Brecon Beacons one mid winters day and get your hobo stove going, I'll make breakfast while you flaff about;)

PS, You don't get soot off a clean burning stove

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tea / coffee
Soup
Pasta
Rice
Noodles
Anything out of a tin

I think it would accomodate quite a few peoples camp food easily. I`ll probably use mine for brewing up and making snack meals which is what I eat when I`m out anyway. Each to their own though. Either way you look at it, it`s a good price for a titanium pot of that size.

Rich, no offence mate, but thats not food, thats survival, when I'm camping I'm talking about proper meals like beef or chicken stew, pasta and meat balls, pukka curry, a good fry up ect, I guess I spoil myself. Strange thing is, its not unkown for a Ti Pot chef to come sniffing around when I'm cooking;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich, no offence mate, but thats not food, thats survival, when I'm camping I'm talking about proper meals like beef or chicken stew, pasta and meat balls, pukka curry, a good fry up ect, I guess I spoil myself. Strange thing is, its not unkown for a Ti Pot chef to come sniffing around when I'm cooking;)

LOL :lmao:

No that`s fair enough Rik, I`m a bit of a glass back so I only take stuff that will fill me up and weigh less at the same time. If I`m base camping then that`s different, then it`s time to bring out the 16cm billy and get the veggies on.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
When it arrives, my new titanium mug will replace a blue plastic camping mug from the 70's which has begun to impart a rather plasticy flavour to my tea.

For me, when out and about the issue boils down to a simple equation:

Less weight (while maintaining functionality) = more enjoyment.

Since I'm expecting the new mug to last at least the next thirty years of my life it will give me much pleasure. At less than a pound a year, that's ok by me. Hell, if Gransfors Bruks made a Ti version of the SFA...

Sponsorship, anyone?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When it arrives, my new titanium mug will replace a blue plastic camping mug from the 70's which has begun to impart a rather plasticy flavour to my tea.

For me, when out and about the issue boils down to a simple equation:

Less weight (while maintaining functionality) = more enjoyment.

Since I'm expecting the new mug to last at least the next thirty years of my life it will give me much pleasure. At less than a pound a year, that's ok by me. Hell, if Gransfors Bruks made a Ti version of the SFA...

Sponsorship, anyone?

I'm not a total reactionary to change, honest I'm not. if I was going light and looking at food in terms of fuel then I'd go for a Titanium pot; but age, bad knee, and love of food means that I get as much enjoyment from preparing and cooking a nice meal as I do any other aspect of camping, in fact I get a kick out of feeding myself and others then sharing a beer or two, full belly, beer or two, open fire when allowed, shelter from rain/snow and I'm in hogs heaven as they say

PS
I also need to listen to the news on Radio 4, dam I'm getting old:(

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I like my T mug, big enough to fit a RAT pack boil in the bag meal in, remove bag add coffee drink eat no worries. Did etch a line on the inside to mark were a mug full of water goes as the first coffee I made in it almost drowned me...:rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
PS
I also need to listen to the news on Radio 4, dam I'm getting old:(

Me too, Radio 4 is on in my car all the time now. I`ve been caught out a few times with work mates getting and taking the p. Sometimes I push the boat out and liven things up with a bit of Radio 2 :eek: Sad times indeed for a 33 year old.

The wife`s lost all faith in me aswell, she thinks I`ve aged 30 years in the last 5 :confused:
When we got engaged I was dj`ing in night clubs in Manchester and Leeds, now I listen to Farming reports and shipping forecasts :theyareon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like my T mug, big enough to fit a RAT pack boil in the bag meal in, remove bag add coffee drink eat no worries. Did etch a line on the inside to mark were a mug full of water goes as the first coffee I made in it almost drowned me...:rolleyes:

I love rat pack meals Shaman, but its not 'cooking' you might as well boil a can of 'Full Monty' breakfast. What pukka, real food do you cook, or, is food just fuel for you? No fun in that mate:rolleyes:

You get fun in real cooking not just the cooking process at camp, but also at home; planning your menu, drying food you might need, packing little bags of herbs/spices etc. You will know your meal in advance and it will taste so good, honest, trust me on this.

I'm getting like Jamie Oliver when he did his School food campaign, only this time, its getting real food back into camping. Rat packs and noodles for a 24 hour trip, any longer it should be proper food wherever possible:) I want people here to enjoy and look forward with eagerness to their meals, not just eat them:cool:

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Totally agree with "getting real food back into camping" - its what we call gourmet camping. Freshly picked chanterelle; stewed wild strawberry, blueberry and raspberry for breakfast (I'd post a piccie from our Swiss walk last year if I knew how), that sort of thing.

I suppose we try and do two primary sorts of camping: primitive and luxury. Its just that the edges get blurry and we end up doing primitive in Ti :)

Radio 4 is my staple radio

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Titanium has other advantages than weight. The metal is inherently fairly non-stick, so a lot easier to clean in the field. It also doesn't burn your lips like aluminium or (to a lesser extent) stainless.

The weight saving alone though makes it worthwhile. I agree that if you are staggering from your car to your favourite woods with a sack of potatoes and a freshly butchered cow under each arm, saving a few hundred grammes might not seem worth it, but going lighter is a philospophy that adds up in small increments. I used to carry a Berghaus Vulcan with side pockets, and fill it, typically carrying 20kg for a couple of days out. Now I have a Sabre 45 with side pockets that I can use for a week trek of 100 miles. Just changing my rucksack has saved me 1.5 kilos. I saved another 800g by switching to a down bag, ditched my lightweight Hilleberg tent for a tarp and trekking poles, another 1.4kg saved. That's 3.7 kg saved on three items! That means I can carry a few pounds of rump steak, all the trimmings and a couple of bottles of red to wash it down if I like... or carry noodles and preserve my knees and energy for enjoying the journey as well as the campsite!

The size of the cooking pot and the materials are different issues. My titanium mug has a capacity of 750ml, so works for ultralight meals if needed, but that doesn't mean I can't eat well if I want to. I just need a bigger pot or billy. Of course, a bigger titanium one is still lighter/non-stick etc...

Just wondering, how many on here use the Crusader cup as their only pot when they are out? Or do most carry extra billies?

Agree with the comments on real food though. I have yet to try a "food pouch", even on long trips. They are not even that light. A British army 24 hr ration pack weighs about 1 kilo!

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I agree that if you are staggering from your car to your favourite woods with a sack of potatoes and a freshly butchered cow under each arm, saving a few hundred grammes might not seem worth it,
:lmao: That sounds like some of the role play events I have been on.

Agree with the comments on real food though. I have yet to try a "food pouch", even on long trips. They are not even that light. A British army 24 hr ration pack weighs about 1 kilo!
You are right, I have yet to carry the whole thing I normally brake it down. If on long trips I sort the menu - eat Heavy stuff 1st, like you say take a nice stake just have it for your 1st evening meal, and I know it sacrilege but I believe you can get wine in a can :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE