Cheap reasonably good guylines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Went in B & M yesterday and spotted according to the packet '5 meters of Guyline with runner' It's actually Two 5 meter lengths and there are 4 workable plastic runners included, the line is nylon and bright orange....not the sort of thing if you don't want to stand out but very handy if the occasion arises when it is handy to have some visible lines. At £1 a shout I went back today and got a couple more packs. If not used as Guylines it will cut up to make high vis Fobs, Lanyards etc.

DB

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Yes i called in today, they had it in green also, i picked three packets up.

It'll be ideal for ridge line, guy lines for my army issue dpm basha.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Builders Line, is a good alternative, if you want lightweight line, which is Strong. I got a whacking great reel of the stuff about six months ago from B and Q, for very low cost. It is bright lemon colour, and great for being seen and not tripped over in the dark or dusk, but not so good for stealth camping. It is only about three MM thick, but as strong as I expect
to need for a one or two man tarp,in reasonably strong winds.

stone monkey

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2015
east yorkshire
l Went into my local(ish) B&M today, couldn't find them so asked an assistant, who replied " thats camping equipment and its not going on display until next month "

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What you call "Builder's Line" might be what we call #18 woven nylon line = surveyor's cord. Yellow, white and blinding pink.
#18 here is sold also as tarred seine line for repairing nets (Chandler's?) Must admit, for any cordage, that stuff has a breaking strength
of 100kg or better.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Yes I have seen the 'brickies/builders line' in B&Q (including the blinding Pink mentioned by R.V.) My only problem with that stuff is that it doesn't knot very well unless the knot is pulled really tight/hard, at which point it will not undo so where it has been used you often see it cut off and left and being nylon it remains there until someone else clears it up. I actually have several hundred meters of the Orange stuff with a wire running through it that is made for use with the electric fences and as mentioned it is very strong, hard wearing and useful at times.

D.B.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
£land is your friend. They currently have yellow guy lines 4 x 2 meterish with runners priced at an unsurprising £1. :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've been using throwline. Granted it's a bit more expensive [50m £12ish] but I reckon it'll be a bit stronger [90kg braking], comes in a fetching orange - but I quite like that as I can see it when I put it on the ground :). And when its night time it doesn't really stand out that much more in the dark.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Although I haven't done it yet, I'd do a little reading in several knot-tying books to find something suitable for woven nylon.
I'd start with an old volume: "Fishermen's Knots" which has chapters on open ocean, line fishing.
I suggest a "bowline" knot. Never found one done up so tight that it couldn't be opened easily. Even 3 months underwater and under load.
"Blinding Pink" and "Fetching Orange." Any other designer colors out there?

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Good idea with regards to you reading some knot tying books, I think you would find that one of the main reasons the bowline is so popular is for that very reason, regardless of how much force the knot see's it is relatively easy to undo.....also one of the reasons it is advised NOT to use it in a lot of circumstances because if the knot (regardless of how much it is tightened) is wriggled about it can and will fail.

D.B.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
With a static load, a bowline is as good as any knot, easily learned.
I used it to set both the lead fence and the wings in front of trap nets.
I dragged a little 10m shrimp "try net" for 5 months, the lines to the doors ended in bowline knots.

Might have time later today to read Des Pawson's volume: "Knots."
Bought it as so rusty to relearn splices.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE