Cheap Pressies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi All,

Couldnt help myself yesterday, was in Homebase, and noticed a pair of Walkie-Talkies for about £15.00, and a key fob blue light for just £1.99.

Then filling up with petrol there was a special offer for a twin-jet flame lighter with compass for just £2.99. It even came with a handy alloy tin which could be used for tinder.

I'd been grumpy all day but cheered up considerably with these bargains.

Heres some piccies

Attachments

• 10606438wu.jpg
    10606438wu.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 10606450ee.jpg
    10606450ee.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 10606402cq.jpg
    10606402cq.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 123

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Topcat,

Be careful of the lanyard clip. I have a similar one for my USB drive and it wears very quickly if you use it a lot. You might lose the lighter if it wears too much.

Pablo

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi Twelveboar,

Fortunately/unfortunately I dont live anywhere near a poundland! If I did I would probably be in there looking for tea/sugar cannisters to convert into cooking containers.

Anything in there suitable for bushcrafty use?

TC

:)

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi Pablo,

I was in on the group buy of quick release key ring fobs, and as I still have a number I havent found a use for, I'll act on your suggestion and use one on the lighter.

Cheers

TC

snake|UK|

Nov 3, 2005
yorkshire
www.bushtruck.co.uk
You may want to check the accuracy of the compass as button compasses are inherently inaccurate, please only use it for indication purposes only not navigation. You can get white led lights from poundland. Gas lighters are brill. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Last Thursday I bought myself some Coghlan containers (you know: the small handy ones): normally somewhere around 10+ Euro, now for only 2 Euro (at Halfords) :D :27:

Monday we had Saint Nicholas: where it's tradition to give eachother some cheap but usefull gifts (mostly aimed at kids, but us grown ups enjoy ourselves aswell ... I got some bright yelow working gloves (great for shelter making), a folding saw (with double lock thingie) and the latest book by Chris Ryan - "Blackout" (in dutch though).

And in the end it's exactly the same guy as Santa Claus ... :D Which makes us having Christmas twice a year (no, not a sneaky link to that James Bond movie "The world is not enough" :lmao: ;) :rolleyes: ).

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Topcat02 said:
Hi Twelveboar,

Fortunately/unfortunately I dont live anywhere near a poundland! If I did I would probably be in there looking for tea/sugar cannisters to convert into cooking containers.

Anything in there suitable for bushcrafty use?

TC

:)
I bought a metal file to try to make a steel for flint and steel firestarting.
For cooking containers they have cheap pans!

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I picked up one of the same lighters last night. I looked at the tin it came in and its mesh with a cardboard liner. i've removed that and the plastic window in the lid and looking at trying it out as a small back up stove.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Great idea,

I thought about using it for tinder, but a cheap cooker would be a great idea. Let us know how you get on.

The container is pretty light and thin alloy, so you'd probably have to be carefull with what you use as a fuel to avoid warping it.

Regards

TC

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Thats why I said as a back up I think it would survive one or two uses. Before I joined I brought a pack of that firegel stuff so might try that in it. If it works then its no size in a corner of a pack just in case is it? I have a trangia SA thats what gave me the original idea incase say I spilled the meths and was in a no fire allowed site that tin as a one time stove would fit inside the SA windshield.
Dave.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi Nemesis,

There was nothing on the telly, so I decided to make myself a cup of tea using the case as a holder for half a hexy block.

Filled the kettle with enough water for a brew, and within 5 minutes had steam coming out of the kettle.

Here are a few pics

Attachments

• 10606970hi.jpg
    10606970hi.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 10707011ce.jpg
    10707011ce.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 10707139qn.jpg
    10707139qn.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 27

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Did it handle the heat ok? any buckling? Thats what I had in mind only I thought using the lid and cutting out that window thinking it might concentrate the heat a little better.Shame we can't sorce the tins we'd make a killing lol
Dave :lmao:

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi Nemisis,

There wasnt any buckling, and the only sign of use was the black residue left by the hexy block.

In reality you'd probably have a hexy burner with you, if you were using hexy as a fuel.

If however you were using the box to carry tinder, then I would think you'd probably get a nice little fire started in it.

It would keep the tinder in one place, stopping it from blowing away etc, allow air circulation, and you could then move the lit stuff to a bigger fire to cook your food/make your tea.

I'll cut up some matchstick size wood this evening, and see how it gets on with that size fire.

TC

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
One thing have you tried it outside yet just wondering if any wind would effect it too much like with a hexi stove. I'll try mine later with the firegel if I can get it to light from what i've read on here no easy task lol. I've cut that window out of mine now so tinder box no longer an option but will try with and without the lid see if it does effect cooking time.Pity that link from oops is american looked for uk sorce but no luck.
Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE