cheap LED torches?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
it pains me to ask this :oops:

i was in "QD(Quality discount)" stores the other day(in kingslynn), and i spotted an LED torch looking very simular in design to a maglight but with 4 LEDs.

i didn't get a look at the make, i shall try tomorrow.

anyway there they were sitting on the shelf:

(in a packet with the expected LED info ) long life LEDs, good battery consumption,
for £4.99 :shock: :yikes: :?:
should i buy it?
i have seen LED torches (and used to sell them)£30 and above!!!!

i know from experience that LED's are damn good i also know from experience that "QD stores"sell alot of junk but the occasional bargain.

anyone any opinions :?:

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
Hmmm,
In your kit, a torch is an important component. I would keep your regular torch as 'standard' and perhaps include a small LED for map reading at night. Besides, a couple of HP2's or AA's will pull your compass all over the place if you hold a regular torch too close; although I'm not sure how one of those flat watch type batteries would affect it. I presume these to be used in LED torches?

Bear

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
The LED torch itself runs on 2x AA batteries the same as a maglight!

as i say it was only a fleeting glance i shall endevour to suss out the maker.

whilst we are on the subject "QD" sell LED key lights that have helped me out on a few occasions only a couple of quid!

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
One problem with "no name" LED torches is that they sometimes push more current through the LED than it's designed to carry in order to get brighter light. This leads to reduced bulb life and even some impressive heat.

:idea: Candlepowerforums is where many light "nutters" hang about. Lots of info there about LED's -- and other less common lights.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE