Cheap enthusiasts camera - Fujifilm? Any others

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hey can anyone help me decide? I used to use a film SLR then got a Nikon Coolpix 4600 as it was most I could afford and was supposed to be ok compact back then. I want to get back into photography but have no real idea what I want other than everything including a price tag of about £150 top end (negotiable if there is something special for a few quid more). I'd like a good length of zoom and VR too. I have been looking at 10x plus including some 18x fujifilm bridge cameras.

I will be taking shots outside while walking often with a group. Usual stuff, Landscapes, nature, macro, shots of people in the landscape and the obvious summit group shots. Also family and friends based social events (formals too no doubt). Anyway I don't really know what I want. Although I would like a camera that can cope as a simple point and shoot but will keep me learning and developing for a long time. I guess that means it has a high degree of progam modes and functions but still has one of those intelligent scene recognition type of functions to make it simple to at least get going. I do know a bit as I have experience of using a reasonable film SLR made by Minolta which I learnt on and would play around with the settings.

From what is out there I do like the look of the Fujifilm S series as you can now get their range from the S1500 to S2500 at less than £150. I was thinking about the S1900 from Fuji direct refurbished one but I have since spotted a higher spec S2500 at £146 new from Amazon site. Not sure if that was from Amazon or on their market place though as they have changed from a few years ago when I last looked at their site. I am not bothered by its more bulky nature over sat the samsung WB500, 550 or 600.

What do you think? Get a Fuji or is there something else more suitable? As I said I really want to spend as little as realistic but accept about £150 will get a camera with at least some manual programability.

Pryderi

Aug 6, 2005
Dorset and Wales
I've used quite a few different fujis over the years, taken quite a few pics with them and even had some pics published.
Generally I would say they are acceptable to pretty good... one thing I have noticed is a tendency to burn out highlights which seems to be a fuji failing (well at least from the cameras I have owned). My one caveat however is some of their models have been flaky. I bought a e550 years ago which worked for about year then decided to die permanently a lot of othe people complained of the same problem as well. Just make sure you dont buy one with known "problems".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE