cheap cheap make yer own crab nets!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
yup just like it sayes on the tin! if you pop in to any angling shop and ask for a drop net aka crab net and you can expect to part with best part of a tenner or more,well given my tight arsed nature i decided to make my own to a prety much same spec design as the shop baught one,firstly i made a wanted thread on free-cycle ( http://www.freecycle.org/group/United Kingdom ) for old and damaged anglers keep nets,these are the type of net that were once used all the time to put yer catch in till end of the days fishing,these days most waters ban them except for match fishing. Within 5 hours i had 5 to pick up locally from members of my local group.

here is how to make them in realy easy fashion,all you need is some cable ties (wire could also be used).basicly cut every 3rd section at the rim of the next simply cable tye the botom section in a bunch with a bit of weight like steel or lead,now add 3 or 4 equally placed lines on to the rim then tye the other ends to a split ring or just onto the 5-10yard drop line.simply tying some bait in the bottom and yer done! see pics below of some i made to go crabbing at weymouth:
DSC02087.jpg

DSC02088.jpg

and the result was 20 big spider crabs to cook up!
DSC02090-1.jpg

give it a go!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
it's things like this that really remind me how much i miss living by the sea, 20 crabs for tea for the price of a bit of bait and the effort of recycling a few bits of someone elses rubbish, great stuff

thanks for sharng

stuart

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Cor, epic catch!
wouldn't mind giving this a go tbh, see if the old man has some of his old keep nets about ;D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE