Cheap and Dirty Hammock Under blanket

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
This is such a dirt little messy hack of a DIY thing, I almost feel guilty for posting it but it cost me pennies and recycled something that had no use so in that respect it makes me feel good.

I don't have any pictures yet but will post some tonight if I get out with the dog.

Basically I have a rubbish karrimor sleeping bag that I had bought when I knew no better and the trendy active sales assistant (complete with extreme haircut) in blacks took great pleasure in selling outdoor gear to the fat man with his credit card out.

This synthetic bag allegedly has a comfort temp rating of 7-11C and packs really quite small plus it only weighs just over a kilo.

So I purchased some webbing strapping stuff from B&Q (89p metre IIRC) and some very strong thread complete with household needle kit from the knitting shop around the corner from work.

So sitting in front of the fire whilst the other chaps were drinking a beer and cooking up some grub I got to work.

Basically as its a mummy bag I took the zip all the down and then in the foot box area I cut a hole in the bottom of the bag and whipped (very very roughly) around the outside of the hole to secure it seal it. At the other end I added two webbing lops sewed on to either side of the top opening and angled them at 45degrees from the corner where they were being attached.

All that was left to do then was thread the end of the hammock ropes through the bottom of the sleeping bag and clip the other ends to my karribiner (connecting the hammock to the tree ropes) with cheap bungees and it worked a treat. Kept me cosy all night with just my snugpak SF1 opened up like a blanket on top.

At first I wasn't sure if it was doing anything as it was a warm afternoon but reaching down and pushing the bag up against the bottom of the hammock (squashing the air out if essentially) I suddenly realised just how much work it was doing.

Anyway a long post for a simple job that could of been explained with 2 photos which I don't have - Am I on a roll or what? :lmao:

Will try and post pics later.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Was very wet last night and hence it actually turned out that it was my wifes turn to walk the dog :) so no pics im afraid. Will try and get some tonight but the weather looks like it could be the wifes turn to walk the dog again.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Allways great to hear that folk are prepared to have a go at something unusual themselves.
My Ogripod idea - started out the same way. It has turned out massively too hot even for winter hammocking and has undergone a transmorphication into an underblanket yet still remains way too big for backpacking.

Looking forwrd to the photos

ATB

Ogri the trog

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I fear the expectation is rising to a boiling point, the pressure, the pressure. Don't expect any close ups of the attachments - you know how when someone does not know how to tie knots so they make up with many varied ones? Well that's the approach I took with the stitching :)

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Ive seen it and for the 5 - 15 mins it took to prepare it actually looked quite respectable, near dare i say professional.

I think you over did the glue or something though as you appeared to be stuck in it for the rest of our time out that weekend ?

Stoo.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Ive seen it and for the 5 - 15 mins it took to prepare it actually looked quite respectable, near dare i say professional.

I think you over did the glue or something though as you appeared to be stuck in it for the rest of our time out that weekend ?

Stoo.

bah 5-15mins, what would you know - you were too busy telling me all these skills you learnt at the moot (whilst reminding me that I wasn't there) to watch the master craftsmanship that went into this vital piece of equipment. Nah seriously though - praise from a Fifer? - I'll take that :p

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My Ogripod idea - started out the same way. It has turned out massively too hot even for winter hammocking and has undergone a transmorphication into an underblanket yet still remains way too big for backpacking.

ATB

Ogri the trog

That`s the tricky bit with DIY jobs finding a balance between bulk and performance. I`ve trashed a couple of sleeping bags in the past only to find the finished product takes up half my pack.

Mark VII is work in progress at the moment ....

Rich

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I made an under blanket a couple of years ago, relatively simple to do. I put it away in a box because something was'nt quite right. Last winter I suddenly realised what was'nt quite right. A simple half hour job on the sewing machine and bobs your uncle!
I have used it all year, it's brill! Warm, comfy, packs small and fairly cheap to make.
I'll try to get some pics done of it when I'm next out.
Neil

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
(this might need changing to pic heavy if there are any mods listening)

No pictures of it in use im afraid - still chucking it down and the dog need some careful attention in the tick removal department - grrrrr

So after looking at how bad it looks im going to call it a "prototype", this was hashed together very quickly, I wanted it done before the other chaps supped the beers that were still cold, and didn't want to spend ages on it if it wasn't going to work - my excuse and im sticking to it!

Ok so a couple of pcis to show how big it is when fully compressed,

DSC01374.jpg

DSC01375.jpg

and now the hastily sewn on loops

DSC01376.jpg

and the very professional whipping around the footboox where i took my mora to it :swordfigh

DSC01377.jpg

the missus pretending to be a tree and Holly our dog. Holly is also the reason why there are no outside or in use pictures as tonight the little git had to be attacked with a tick remover and then treated with anti-tick stuff - she loves the woods but sometimes they just don't like her :D

This picture shows the hammock through the hole in the underblanket, you can see that its tied on using a loop on the bottom of the sleeping bag,

DSC01378.jpg

kinda how it looks when its up, the bungees are normally attached to where the karibiners are clipped onto the tree ropes (gives a perfect fit),

DSC01380.jpg

this is a close up of the bottom

DSC01382.jpg

and here it is opened up,

DSC01384.jpg

As i said not pretty and the pictures are not the best but I will get stooboy to take some next time we are out and its in use - it looks better then.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
There's nothing to be ashamed of there. I won't even post pics of the spatula that I ended up making whilst trying to make a spoon. It was a good job that I'd taken burgers out with me, rather than soup.

Cheers, Michael.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
There's nothing to be ashamed of there. I won't even post pics of the spatula that I ended up making whilst trying to make a spoon. It was a good job that I'd taken burgers out with me, rather than soup.

Cheers, Michael.

:lmao:

reminds me of that episode of bushcraft when RM's canoe mate starts making a paddle and ends up with a spatula.

I keep putting off buying a spoon knife cos I'm terrified to see what happens when i use it. :D

Cheers
Tom

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
:lmao:

reminds me of that episode of bushcraft when RM's canoe mate starts making a paddle and ends up with a spatula.

I keep putting off buying a spoon knife cos I'm terrified to see what happens when i use it. :D

Cheers
Tom

I've since bought a spoon knife of Monsieur Le Lurch. All I had with me when I made the spatula was my usual bushy knife and my axe, and no eating irons. I'd unexpectedly found myself with a free evening so I escaped before Mrs Cumbrian could find me something to do. I'd also forgotten to take my grill, so I had to cook the burgers on a hot stone, which worked really well. Funnily enough though, I remembered to take the box of wine and half bottle of whisky off the hard to reach shelf in the dining room.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I've since bought a spoon knife of Monsieur Le Lurch. All I had with me when I made the spatula was my usual bushy knife and my axe, and no eating irons. I'd unexpectedly found myself with a free evening so I escaped before Mrs Cumbrian could find me something to do. I'd also forgotten to take my grill, so I had to cook the burgers on a hot stone, which worked really well. Funnily enough though, I remembered to take the box of wine and half bottle of whisky off the hard to reach shelf in the dining room.

I too always seem to remember the essential survival equipment :D

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I made an under blanket a couple of years ago, relatively simple to do. I put it away in a box because something was'nt quite right. Last winter I suddenly realised what was'nt quite right. A simple half hour job on the sewing machine and bobs your uncle!
I have used it all year, it's brill! Warm, comfy, packs small and fairly cheap to make.
I'll try to get some pics done of it when I'm next out.
Neil
If you don't mind me asking Neil what was it that 'was'nt quite right' and what did you fix that improved it? Im interested, I've never owned a underblanket and I like the idea of making my own. Thanks for inspiring me folks. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE