Char cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I had to share this...

I got a fire going last night using my Firesteel and some charcloth.

I had some washcloths (12 for $3) that work amazingly well for making charcloth. I decided, in my infinite wisdom, to make some more charcloth.

I had an empty quart paintpan, and I thought, "I can make a ton of charcloth in one batch in that thing rather than using my Altoids tin!"

Side note: The Altoids tin works well.

I punched a small hole in the lid, burned off the detritus in the can, let it cool, filled it up with squares cut from the washcloths, and set it in the embers.

Smoke came jetting out of the hole, as usual. The can was on its side (so that I could roll it in the embers every so often to ensure even charring), and the jet of smoke coming out of it was shooting right onto a bed of embers. Initially, I thought that was intriguing - A sort of self-promoting fire. After about ten minutes or so, though.... BLAM! The lid popped off of the can and, you guessed it, the charcloth inside all caught a spark.

Rats.

I tried it again, this time, aiming the plume of smoke away from the embers. Again, after a short time, BLAM! Luckily, I caught most of the cloth inside before it could catch a spark.

I proceded to make the hole larger, and that worked the third time.

Oddly, the charcloth from my Altoids setup seems better than the paint can method.

Where do we stand on sealing the hole in the can whiel it cools? I've seen (and done) it both ways (leaving it open/closing it) and haven't seen much difference between the charcloths by either method. In my mind, if I don't need to jam a nail/wahtever into a small hole in a hot tin, then I'm not going to.

Doc

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
If you dont seal the hole, oxygen will get in and burn up the bit of cloth immediately below the hole.
I find that by putting a hole in the top and bottom of the tin that I get a more even charring.
Like everyone else I watch the smoke come out the top hole until it stops. Then using a welding glove I pick up the tin,shake it and put it back on the heat upside down.
The smoke starts again and when it has stopped I let it go cold and find that on opening the tin I have an even charring with none of the light brown uncharred bits you can get with just one hole.
Oggie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE