Changes in resuscitation will be announced by the UK Resus Council.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
**Please Note This For Information ONLY**
**Please Note This For Information ONLY**​

Got an email from Admin@AoFA.org

Highly important changes in resuscitation will be announced by the UK Resus Council in late October. These changes are important and will affect all first aid training and procedures.

this followed a few days ago

When obtaining help, ask for an automated external defibrillator (AED), if one is available.
1. Compress the chest to a depth of 5-6 cm and at a rate of 100-120 per min.
2. Give each rescue breath over 1 second rather than 2.
3. Do not stop to check the victim or discontinue CPR unless the victim starts to show signs of regaining consciousness, such as coughing, opening his eyes, speaking, or moving purposefully AND starts to breathe normally.
4. Teach CPR to laypeople with an emphasis on chest compression, but include ventilation as the standard, particularly for those with a duty of care. In addition, advice has been added on the use of oxygen, and how to manage a victim who regurgitates stomach contents during resuscitation.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Interesting - I never knew about the alternative abdominal thrusts ( I was never sure of using the Heimlich manouevre).

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
These changes were introduced in May 2009 to all "professional" first aid providers with the FAW following on by October 2009 and the changes were published in the tri services first aid manual (Red Cross, St. John's, St Andrew's) which has been available since February this year. One of the most significant changes is that the rescue breaths which in the past were required to be effective has now been downgraded and has now become attempted, so even if ineffective the first aider should not waste time in trying to make them effective. Current thinking is that there is enough oxygen retained in the blood to last several hours before a "top up" is required. It is still recommended that people who wish to learn first aid still should update their skills by attending a recognised training course. The new Tri service first aid manual I believe is the best source of information and explanation for the lay person and is a very handy reference to have at home, particularly now as it is written for the lay person and no longer the "professional" first aider who will be getting a professional providers manual early next year it is rumoured. The next expected major change to be introduced sometime in the future is the dropping of the rescue breaths altogether, but when this will come in I have no idea, some speculate early next year but I think this is doubtful, and personally think it will coincide with the next update of the manual due in 3 years time.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
One thing I have been recently taught about the timing for the compressions is the nursery rhyme "Nelly the elephant" and if you say it at the natural pace which is quite fast that you should get your right compressions, doing for 10 minutes during a recent course certainly made me knackered another reason why they say get or phone for help first!!

Here are a couple of links to help:
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/nellie.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_the_Elephant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F3Uhrj9YVI&feature=related

The last being the video try to keep to the timing of the chorus :)

It's amaxing what you hear paramedics sining nowadays :)

what's next Bohemian rhapsody for counting blood pressure? :) or maybe this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
It won't be dumbing down Bod in reality it will in theory make it more efficient, the general concensus is that the blood will retain enough oxygen supply for some time before requiring replenishment. Therefore keeping the blood pumping around the organs can be more beneficial in keeping the body "alive" till a defib is brought in. If you think about it CPR can only (in the overwhelming majority of cases) keep the organs viable for transplant if the defib cannot restart the heart. In all but certain conditions and certain events the likelyhood of restarting the heart with CPR is virtually non existant. At the moment this is all academic as this has not yet been brought in, although it is on the cards for some future date, but no one knows when as yet.

Last edited:

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi Pete,
During your primary survey.Danger, Response, Shout for help, Airway, check Breathing for not more than ten seconds..if not breathing normally..then go/or sent for help and get the nearest AED if one is available...a lot of large stores shopping centers etc have AED's AED's can be used by anyone [better if trainned] and will basically tell you what to do in terms of pad placement etc
The early use of a AED is the only hope of any chance of survival
If you look at the link i posted earlier all the information you need is there
Hope this helps
regards
Stu

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
it seems its the breathes that put some people off doing anything, so we tend to emphasise (I teach Scout leader "First Response" courses, a very basic course that all leaders need to go through) that doing SOMETHING is better than nothing, so if the casualty has vomited, has facial injuries or may have suffered from posioning etc, just do the compressions, but don't just do nothing!

Compression only CPR is still a viable option, particularly for witnessed Cardiac Arrest. The blood that would have been circulating prior to the collapse will be oxygenated already. I have made the decision to undertake compression only CPR before due to the circumstances and not having my usual kit available at hand.
The changes to the Resus Council Guidelines this year have been the biggest anti climax known to the First Aid providers world!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
They won't drop rescue breaths altogether, as they are still required for infants, children and a person who has drowned.

As I said in my post ashes there are some circumstances where the heart can be restarted by cpr such as drowning, trauma (severe blow to the sternum), electrocution. But the overwhelming majority of a casualty collapsing with heart stoppage or inconsistant rythm is disease or medical condition and rescue breath/no rescue breath will have little to no significance. I can assure you that rescue breaths will dissappear, it's not if but when is the question. But as has been pointed out until these changes are announced you should continue with how you have been trained ie 30 compression to 2 attempted rescue breaths, compression at a rate of 100 per minute to a depth of 1/3 body depth.
Peter T what was meant was when calling for people around you for assistance to bring an AED, when you call 999 they will automatically have oxygen, bag valve and mask, plus AED with them on arrival.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE