Chaga? ID

• Hey Guest, We've had to cancel our 2020 Summer BushMoot PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't think chagga grows that far south. I'm no expert but I think it's likely to be something else. The only way to tell is to cut it and see if it's orange inside. It looks far more likely to be a growth of some sort.
If you have found chagga that far south you are very lucky!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay :)
Right tree, right colour, right shape, wrong place; maybe ?

I would certainly do as Woody Girl suggests and cut a bit and look inside. It's a rich rust coloured stuff inside. No unpleasant smell.

If you have found it down there, well it'll keep growing until the tree's dead. It's very useful stuff.

I don't know the ins and outs of collecting down in England. I do know that if it's on your own land that's one thing, but if it's on someone else's that's another thing entirely.

M

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
It is rare in England and I certainly never found it when I was living in Surrey. It's pretty rare here in Mid Wales as well.

Here chaga grows on alder and rowan too but very rarely. To me that looks like one.
Apparently, only Chaga growing on Birch has anti-tumour properties! I don't know if that means there is no inotodiol if it grows on other trees.

TLM

Settler
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Yes, traditionally only one growing on birch is used as chaga tends to collect substances only produced by birch. I have not seen any studies of growths on other trees, russians only use birch too. I have at least one growing on rowan on my land.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and up trees)
As said above, break a little off and see if it's rust coloured inside. From your pics, i have my doubts it's chaga, especially so far south. The furthest south i've found it (so far) is near Maclesfield.