Chaffing gel.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I got a tin of chaffing gel yesterday, does anyone use it? Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Belzeebob buys it in bulk from ether the net or wholesalers, he mainly uses it in his plantpot tent heaters, but also uses it to get the Moka Pot going in the morning. Good controllable safe heat source that works out really cheap too.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've just had a go with it in my Hobo stove, it took about ten minutes to boil half a pint of water, so I guess it burns about as hot as Meths. The label says it has a two and a half hour burn time on a 170g tin, so it may last longer than the equivalent amount of Meths.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
As a caterer, I use chafing gel on a regular basis. There are two main sorts, clear and purple. I find the purple easier to light, especially when using what's left in the bottom half of the tin. You can also get both types with a built in wick but they tend not to burn so hot. Different size cans available with different burn times.

You can use the lid as a simmer ring or you can get small canisters complete with hinged lid so that you can use a la trangia.

DO NOT GET THIS ON YOU WHEN IT IS LIT. IT HAS THE SAME CONSISTENCY AS NAPALM.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
As a caterer, I use chafing gel on a regular basis. There are two main sorts, clear and purple. I find the purple easier to light, especially when using what's left in the bottom half of the tin. You can also get both types with a built in wick but they tend not to burn so hot. Different size cans available with different burn times.

You can use the lid as a simmer ring or you can get small canisters complete with hinged lid so that you can use a la trangia.

DO NOT GET THIS ON YOU WHEN IT IS LIT. IT HAS THE SAME CONSISTENCY AS NAPALM.

Yeah I thought this was the case, cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE