Cep / Boletus recipies?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was given some large boletus yesterday. :) Any suggestions for what to do with them? I am 100% sure that they are edible, but not sure how best to cook them. :?:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I dry most of mine for use in soups, stews and the goose neck sausage for new year. Other than that flash fried with a little butter and black pepper suits me fine.

For something fancy try chopping them finely, sweating with a few shallots, garlic & seasoning add wine stock reduce it down and then pack into filo pasty and bake until the pastry's done.

No decent boletus round this way yet - some huge spongy things that blue when bruised but I don't trust them.
Oneforthepot

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
I like rissotto for almost all wild fungi. If I get Ceps I tend to dry them to give a wonderul mushroom flavor when I cant get decent fresh stuff.
David

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
slice the stalks 1st to make sure the maggots havent drilled their way up into the cap :shock: , some tipes of boletes are very bitter you will need to slice and boil them reduce to a simmer 2/3 times untill the bitterness goes, i like em fried in butter with some nice streaky bacon then crack an egg in the corner of your pan and scramble it up soaking all the juices up mmmmmmm best done outside on your camp fire after picking them VERY satisfying!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
C_Claycomb said:
I was given some large boletus yesterday. :) Any suggestions for what to do with them? I am 100% sure that they are edible, but not sure how best to cook them. :?:

Real cep mushrooms are wonderful!

Pommes sarladaises
(fried potatoes in the style of Sarlat, in Dordogne)
Cut some potatoes into cubes with sides about 1/4".
Cut your ceps into cubes with sides about 1/2".
Grease a deep frying pan or cast iron cooking pot with goose or duck fat.
Fry the potatoes for about four or five minutes and then add the ceps.

Traditionally served with potted duck, stuffed goose or duck neck, fat liver, or duck breast. Or all of the above. With a bottle of Pecharmant or Bergerac. Per person.

Keith.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Thanks everyone :wave: Tried some last night and they were pretty good. I don't think that the ones I have will last long enough for me to try anything too fancy :rolmao: Shall have to go out again this weekend and see if there are any in the local wood :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE