CCTV systems, can you monitor them without a landline based internet service?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I want to install a remote CCTV system in my house, one that I can monitor remotely. Sadly I do not have a reliable internet service as I am supplied by overhead lines. My modem often needs rebooting every few hours, more often if it is windy. Are there any systems that will work with a SIM card rather than a hard wired modem?

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
There are CCTV systems on the market that can monitored via the mobile phone system rather than landline
I had a similar system installed in my old flat if you phone has video conference capability.
The system works by. Having the cameras. Tied to a system monitor AMD that in turn connected to a mobile if the alarms.are set off it it send a live video feed to your mobile and you monitor any intruder
Also you can also program txt commands

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
it is possible to reboot your router remotely but doing so every half hour sounds wrong have you ever tried another router ? I have over headlines and reboot once or twice a year.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Have a wander online over to Misco.co.uk and look for home/office routers with 3G fallback like the Draytek Vigor2830 that switch automatically to the mobile network when the landline falls over. Sadly this particular model is not cheap at £130 but there are others out there. Failing that just connect the cameras to an old'ish laptop dedicated to the task with a 3G dongle, this way you're even covered if the mains power goes out for an hour or so.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
TPLink do some more cheaper 3g routers

Also you could use amobile phone as the cctv using ipwebcam or similar.

Also the wirelesshotspot of an old mobile could be used instead of a routers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE