Cauldstane Slap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Cauldstane Slap Pentland Hills, near Edinburgh

Headed up there late this afternoon, very boggy but a nice walk up to some little peaks. Was wanting to place a geocache on the old fort but to easily muggled. Spotted many grouse and two kestrels looking for filed mouse/voles on the hillside. Very remote looking across to West Linton. It's an old drove road, historical details below.

..........The old drove road from West Linton heads up the tarmaced public road to Baddinsgill, beyond which a stony track climbs north, gradually becoming grassier to the breach in the Pentlands at the Cauldstane Slap. From here a narrow, unsurfaced path leads on northwards.

Not for nothing was the Slap known as “The Thieves Road”. Border Reivers, Moss Troopers and robbers galloped through the pass on night raids. Wrapped in their plaids, the drovers slept beside their herds and flocks, determined to defend them with dirk and staff. But cattle and sheep were often driven off and blood shed.

Cairns Castle, the ruins of which can still be seen near West Cairn Hill at the eastern end of Harperrig Reservoir, was the stronghold of the Warden of the Slap who endeavoured to protect those using the pass............

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I remember walking there with Scouts years ago and getting eaten alive by clegs one beautiful sunny Summer's day.
We were following an old road iirc.

cheers,
Toddy

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Old Roads, Drovers.

When I retire, 23 years away, I will walk the drove roads of scotland. I have walked/MTBed a few bits of different drovers routes and roads so far. Most are ROWs.
A wee project is also to paddle across canada, cycle across the US, touch and go for 7 summer weeks hols. Soon I can do the NW Passage, the inner one, that will be by sea kayak.

Nick

PS I like salmon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE