Cattails

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Photo of some Cattails I took at Martin Mere.
cattails.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Neil

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
A beautiful picture, it is better than many published pictures in field guides.

The light is coming from behind the plants - top-left and behind? - so some of the detail is in the shade. But I only noticed that because I'm getting started in botany and I'm interested in the plant rather than the picture, if you know what I mean. The other thing is the catkin on the right. It's also in focus and could have been part of the picture - unfortunately the frame is too far to the left, so it's been cut off.

But I like the picture a lot - I don't criticise something I don't like:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like the composition, the eye is drawn around the subjecy by natural lines and the "frame" and is always brought back to the subject in a smooth and gentle way.
I like the banding of the background colours and the diagonals of the foreground, both of which compliment the strong vertical of the subject.
The subject is well focussed and interesting in its own right.
The only "negative" points I can find are that the composition does not follow the "rule of thirds" so is not a "classically" good composition (a minor point indeed as I find the the composition pleasing) and that the plant head behind the subject, being of a similar tone to the seeds on the subject itself, are slightly distracting from the "clean" shape of the subject.....
Cracking photo though and one I would be proud of if I had taken it!

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Why are they now called 'cattails'? They always used to be called (incorrectly) 'bullrushes' - the proper name being 'giant reed mace'. Is 'cattail' an American name for them?

Jim

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I've known them as bullrushes and giant reed mace and cattails, just thought I'd go along with cattails as that#s what everyone is calling them in this thread.

Why are they now called 'cattails'? They always used to be called (incorrectly) 'bullrushes' - the proper name being 'giant reed mace'. Is 'cattail' an American name for them?

Jim

I've heard them called cattails by family members and friends all my life and read of them as bullrushes in many books so I may refer to them as either or...I'm pretty sure that I have never heard them called giant reed maces before, even in school.

As for the picture I think it looks fantastic...I may have to go down on the river and see if I can take some pictures of those from different than an above angle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE