Catching/Trapping Eels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
Not something i know much about as most of the fishing i do is at sea.

Quite like the idea of building a trap of somekind.

Has anyone done this??

Heard the best time for eels is around september or around the full moon. Is this true??
Any advice or ideas would be great!! :) Dan

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Legered lobworm, after dark, just about any river in the South of England and you'll get eel after eel after eel. The only real trick is to pretend you're barbel fishing and not after eels at all - then it's more or less guaranteed :D

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
you can catch them all day thats not illegal i think you need a permit to take them. i always like to put them back anyway i read somewhere that one 2 feet long will be over 20 years old. pretty epic migration they do as well

nutz

Dec 20, 2004
Walderslade
I saw this on some Tv programme, tried it twice and it worked both times.

Get an old t-shirt, put some bait in it (fish heads, guts etc.). Tie up the sleeves, neck and waist so there's no holes. Chuck it in the water and stake it firmly to the bank and leave overnight.

I don't get the logic of why it works but the buggers chew a small hole and get in, but can't seem to get back out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE