Catching a spark with traditional flint and steel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HawkesNest

Sep 18, 2008
Brigham City Utah USA
www.box.net
The other day I found this growth (tree conk) on a evergreen tree up in the mountains here in North east Utah. Sorry, this first picture is blurry and I forgot to take a picture before I pulled it off the tree so I held it back up in place with a stick.
DSCF1249.jpg

DSCF1250.jpg

DSCF1255.jpg

I tested it to see if it would make a good ember like chaga, it makes for a great ember.
DSCF1252.jpg

It looks to be in the family of Polypores, not sure which one though. Maybe someone here can identify it for us. It was no longer living and was completely dry.
Mushroom Photo Gallery

After I got home, I wanted to see if it would catch a spark from traditional flint and steel and quarts and steel. It caught a spark from both sets very well and I was glad to find something here local that worked like chaga,(had to buy my chaga off of eBay that I use since I don't know of any in this area). I also tested it in my fire piston and it worked well with it too. This piece I tested with burned a good 30 minutes.
DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1258.jpg

Here is all of the pictures my wife and I took on our autumn ride that day.
http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/rr217/hawkesnest/LeftHandForkSept2008/

Larry

HawkesNest

Sep 18, 2008
Brigham City Utah USA
www.box.net
Oh yes, I thought I would mention that the burning smell of chaga is still nicer than this Polypore I found. Since I found it growing on a pine or fur (not sure which) it seems to have a smell somewhat similar.

I hope I can find more of this sometime, but tend to think I may have found a rare find for this area. Hopefully I can find more since it is always nice to find useful things in your own local area.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
That looks a great tinder fungus. I have been thinking about what it might be. It seemed to me it might not be in the main polypore family. I thought it just might be in the toothed fungi group by its rough ? underside. I tentatively thought it just might be in the hirschioporus family.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE