Catapult - what am I doing wrong?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
There are quite a few ways to make the frames which is all down to personal choice. I like taking a natural fork, drying it out and carving it as it gives me a nice feeling, but I also enjoy taking somehing like HDPE plastic such as a typical chopping board and cutting that to shape.

The frame is only half the equation though, you need to couple it with a good strong set of bands. I cut my own double theraband gold band to suit and taper them to the pouch, however yoh can buy the band sets made up and tie them on.

Here are some of my collection:

Stags head
yrymased.jpg

HDPE
uma9eged.jpg

Hand protector
atupydup.jpg

Carved grip
u5yrazur.jpg

Hope that helps

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
There are quite a few ways to make the frames which is all down to personal choice. I like taking a natural fork, drying it out and carving it as it gives me a nice feeling, but I also enjoy taking somehing like HDPE plastic such as a typical chopping board and cutting that to shape.

The frame is only half the equation though, you need to couple it with a good strong set of bands. I cut my own double theraband gold band to suit and taper them to the pouch, however yoh can buy the band sets made up and tie them on.

Here are some of my collection:

Stags head
yrymased.jpg

HDPE
uma9eged.jpg

Hand protector
atupydup.jpg

Carved grip
u5yrazur.jpg

Hope that helps

Fantastic, sorry about the forked stick comment, they look great & a great idea using the chopping board. Not sure my wood working skills are up to that standard, I've always had problems with the finish on woodwork in the past. I work my way down the grades of sandpaper and then cock it up whilst applying the stain/oil etc. Thanks again for the pictures, I shall look out for a suitable fork. Any specific wood variety that you think works best, I've usually favoured Ash for the odds & sodds that I've made?

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Ash would be fine, hazel is good as well. The main thing is seasoning the wood and stopping the ends from splitting. The way I speed the process is by weighing and microwaving the wood. Keep weighing it intermittently until the weight stabilises meanig there is no more water left to be evaporated. Then let it sit in an airing cupboard for 2 days. To stop the ends from splitting I would recommend sealing them prior to drying, this can be done with a bit or varnish or even tape.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
As fish says, double Theraband Gold. I've put a .45 lead ball through half inch ply with quad bands, but it's so hard to pull and hold steady.

Anyhoo, stop bruising the birds and deliver enough joules to take them down. It ain't fair otherwise.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Lots of custom made jobs out there which are great pieces of kit. If you want a basic, low cost, safe + reliable device go for a Black Widow or Strike 9 from Barnett and put flat therabands or theraband tubes on.
If you open the handle, turn the forks around and re-attach the handle it is easy to attach flat bands. Theraband tubes are far better than the various Barnett options.

I'm sure others will have their own opinions + solutions, but this has worked consistently for me and put plenty of meat on the table.

I have other cattys which are far better, but this will do the job - then you can upgrade when you want to.
Hope this helps

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Isn't amazing that every little interest opens up a can of worms of interesting things you have to understand :) That's great thank you Peaks. In your opinion, is there anything on the market that doesn't need modifying to make it worth using?

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I'm definitely no expert :)
I suspect a lot of the handmade or custom cattys will be more than adequate without any modification. Any of the above will do the job. Its mostly about the shooter and personal preferences. Personally I can't get on with the milbro style - nothing wrong with them - they're good, just don't suit me. Some of the handmade or small supplier kit can be very expensive, but reflect the cost of manufacture.

Any of the above will do the job if - a) you are consistent + accurate, b) have the stalking skills to get to within 15 yards c) have the right ammo.

In the article from Dryad quoted above it looks like hes been using a Black Widow. A Black widow or Strike 9 with standard bands will do the job. Cattys don't have to be sophisticated or expensive, but remember they can damage the shooter if they are really cheap and/or poorly made. Avoid poundshop type kit.

If you are just setting out to try it out, I'd suggest to go for something basic which suits you. Plenty of game fairs coming up in the next few months, usually theres a few folks selling handmade where you can try them out. Then if you like catty shooting (be advised it can be addictive), go for better kit. Lots of info on the various slingshot forums. If I can help further PM me.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Sorry it's taken so long to acknowledge your message Peaks, life got crazy, very kind and informative, thank you.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE