Cat woes

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
She insists on catching live sparrows and brining them in for her family. (Who kept escaping from the Rover and now are in a dog cage in dads living room.)

Dad wants to send Tufty to the Cats protection when they pick up the kittens.

I think this is unfair, shes a feral cat, though she is very good natured, she doesn't bite or scratch, and she uses the litter tray (when shes not outside which even now is most of the time)

I told him that a neutered cat would keep other ferals away, and the cats protection have too many adult cats...after all, she has a good home with him.

But hes adamant to be rid of her.

I cant say much, its not my house. (I would have her and one of the kittens...but Im going to uni. I offered to pay for her Op too.)

How do we teach her not to catch birds?

The sad thing is Dad loves cats; he doesn't want her catching his birds, and he said it would break his heart when she does get old and he would have to take her to be put down (I told him that as a feral cat, like as not she would go away quietly and die.)

What can I do? I don't want to see Tufty betrayed, its not like shes a pet, she `chose` my father to live with.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm afraid you'll never stop a cat from killing birds and small mammals - it's just in their nature. Some very few of them don't seem to do it, but those that do will do it lifelong. Cats have always had three feet in the primeval jungle and only one in the human world and have their own way of doing things; they're just not biddable, you either love 'em and live with their habits or you admire them from afar and keep them off your own patch....................Not much help to you Tengu, but that's the way it is, as far as I can see.....................................atb cake.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its his choice at the end of the day - getting her speyed is the responsible thing to do. She can then be released or sent to a cats home as he sees fit. The life of a feral is usually short and not all that great sadly. They are a huge problem in some areas and can be of great annoyance and indeed cost to your Dad's neighbours. I doubt you will break her of attacking birds - even fully domestic cats do it.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Taking the nepelese budhist approach of a soul choosing a path, such as preconcived choosing parents or in this case a cat choosing your dads car. The cat chose the present path, drop babies and eat birds, the consequences are get spade, go to CPL get vaccines, get new home. She has lenghtened her life by her choices, lightened your life with her brief presence. She has her learning karmic journey and you have yours.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, and what happens when `another` feral comes along and he feeds it? (First event may occur, second inevitable on occurrence of first...)

I think he should stick with Tufty

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE