cat-tail insulation

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Any views on using cattails as a free form of insulation?

There loads of them around the places i go walking and i gather this is the best time to harvest them.

I reckon it will work out heavier than using down for instance but i'm attracted by the cost. Free.

I read somewhere about a hammock underquilt being made using them but i dont know the results.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I am the first to admit I know nothing about plants or names of them, so chances are I have totally got the wrong plant in mind. But are you referring to the fluff from reed mace? if yes there is a history of it being used in ww2 for life jackets insulation for other items too. I did a google search last year after reading a snippet somewhere...

Ok just decided to do a quick search.. (before I made a total fool of my self)
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/1980-07-01/Cattail-Spike-Cotton.aspx read all 3 pages (2-3 tells you about collecting and what to do).

Have fun.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Of course, given its other well known use that is some seriously fammable insulation to be using anywhere near a fire, but I'd be interested to see if it works all the same.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I collected a load a few weeks ago and left them to dry out near my boiler... next thing I knew, we had a bad infestation of maggots round the kitchen as they were hatching out and the darned critters were wibbling around everywhere! So, not only free insulation and firelighter fluff, but also a potentially valuable source of protein!!

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I collected a load a few weeks ago and left them to dry out near my boiler... next thing I knew, we had a bad infestation of maggots round the kitchen as they were hatching out and the darned critters were wibbling around everywhere! So, not only free insulation and firelighter fluff, but also a potentially valuable source of protein!!

Mmmm tasty lol, apparantly the way to prevent things hatching etc is to give it a blast in a tumble dryer (in a bag)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Theres a massive thread on this on Hammock Forums, some of the guys got it to work OK, sterilising the cat-tails in the microwave to stop the 'Free Protein' in the kitchen.

It doesn't loft up too well after packing from what I can remember..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE