Cast iron pots without lids.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
A little while i grabbed some nice loking cast pots at a flea market, thinking that the absence of lids wouldnt be a problem.
Now thinking about it im wrong arnt i...cant use em as an oven and will take longer to cook anything in with heat escaping at the top etc etc.

So im thinking i can find lots of aliminium lids, thtat must be beter than nothing, it isnt going to hold heat as well but is it worth cleaning the casts out and trying or am i just going to have to keep an eye out for 'Spare' lids, which frankly sounds unlikely.

Any ideas? Appart (from planters!)

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Get thee to Ikea :D

Seriously, they have replacement stainless steel lids of most sizes.
I bought two of the glass centred ones with fold down handles to cover my cast iron fry pans. Means I can do risotto/ paella and the like and not fuss over ash or them drying out too much.

I'll see if I can find the link to those ones.

cheers,
Mary

p.s. They're part of the Stabil range.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=stabil

Last edited:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Cut them from mild steel, or barter for someone to do the same. You could even weld a strip around the edge as a lip for coals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE