Case for Bob Dustrude Saw

N

Nomad

Got me one o' them Bob Dustrude folding saws a few days ago, and decided to make a case for it. Materials are cordura and webbing, sewn together using bonded nylon thread, in my usual 'functional' (ie, untidy) style. All done by eye - no measurements at all. First time I've sewn anything on the machine for a handful of years, and I'm pleased with the result.

Front view. Basically a long tube with a flap at one end, closed by a 20mm fastex buckle. The reason for the loop at the right hand end (which bows away from the case a little) will become apparent later.

attachment.php

Rear view. Two loops with 1" tri-glide buckles allow a bit of webbing to be attached so that it can be slung over the shoulder if desired.

attachment.php

The top of the opening folds over when the flap is closed to minimise the chance of rain dribbling in.

attachment.php

There is a sleeve inside to hold a spare blade...

attachment.php

...thus...

attachment.php

Just fits into the 'handle sleeve' on my Sabre 75.

attachment.php

The loop at the bottom of the saw case is there so that the male part of the fastex buckle on the rucksack can pass through and give guaranteed retention of the saw. If the bottom of the saw were to move off the bottom strap, it would only slip down 2-3 inches.

attachment.php

Fitted to the rucksack and the straps all done up. It sticks out a bit at the top and skews the strap for the rucksack's top flap a little (although the sac isn't full in this photo). I might try it without using the handle sleeve - just move it to the right under the handle flap thingy and compression straps, while still using the retention loop at the bottom.

attachment.php

N

Nomad

Thanks, folks. I've since tried it behind the sleeve-flap and compression straps, rather than through the sleeve, and I think it's better like that - a bit looser, but the top flap on the sac closes better, and the saw still won't fall out.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done Nomad, much tidier than my effort

I wanted to put an outer piece on mine to slot my axe into but it was getting a bit tight trying to turn it inside out. I'll go back to it one day though.

N

Nomad

I briefly thought about adding an axe bit as well, but decided against it - kinda means that the axe and saw always have to be together. That said, the two buckles on the back give me the option of coming up with something later.

When I had sewn up the seams (with the blade sleeve on one side as well), I had a moment of "ah, I forgot I'd have to turn this thing inside out...". A bit stiff and fiddly at first, but went fine once it was started.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE