Carving Tools

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I've seen some really good carving projects being done recently and fancy having ago at some myself.... Wood spirits, spoons, Kuska's etc

But i dont have the skill set (will be learnt by doing) or more importantly the tools to have a proper go yet... So does anyone reccomend a basic beginers carving set?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The frost Mora 106 is hard to beat for a fine carver, any of the other moras or the hultafors craft (the orange or blue handled one) for a general all rounder and the best hook knife you can afford. Mora do make hook knives, but I've had to do a lot of work to mine to make it nice to use. I've used a Svante Darv one and it was very nice, others to look at ar Ben Orford, or some of the makers on here. Also have a look on Robin Wood's website, he has some very good and trustworthy articles on there about kit and techniques.

Dave

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
The frost Mora 106 is hard to beat for a fine carver, any of the other moras or the hultafors craft (the orange or blue handled one) for a general all rounder and the best hook knife you can afford. Mora do make hook knives, but I've had to do a lot of work to mine to make it nice to use. I've used a Svante Darv one and it was very nice, others to look at ar Ben Orford, or some of the makers on here. Also have a look on Robin Wood's website, he has some very good and trustworthy articles on there about kit and techniques.

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Give's me something to look at, am i best trying to get different types of tools like you mention? or is there a "set" of such for starting out?

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Robin Hood (Wood) does some comparisons and is a real expert

I would look at getting a small carver either a Mora 106 or 120

Ben Orford does some very nice spoon knives and his small pick knives are very good value I think

From a couple of basic tools you can build up depending what it is you want to do but a small carver and a spoon knife coupled with your Fixed blade/axe for rougher work will achieve most things
Its useful ,good fun and can even be quite artistic(not in my case) The ideal pastime in the woods Enjoy

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
"dab hand" I thought you referring to what I had to do to my left hand the first time I handled a hook knife, dab up all the blood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE