Carving tool handles

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
After receiving some new carving tools from Nic Westermann, I needed to put handles on. I used birch for all, and installed them into the wood by first drilling to a depth slightly more than the length of the tang, and then epoxying them in place.
On the carving knife I made an oversize handle that is quite comfortable and I believe I'll leave it as is for now, but can always trim it smaller or to a different shape in the future if I so decide.
IMG_4820_zpsf7d33e93.jpg

I also needed some sort of sheath for it, so I split a piece of birch down the centre and then after tracing the blade on one half of the split piece, I then carved out a recess to match the thickness and shape of the blade.
Next, the two halves were glued back together, and following a bit of shaping and tidying up, proceeded to take a piece of wet moose rawhide and sew it around the birch sheath. After the rawhide dried, you can see what it looks like. Although not necessary, I thought it was a nice touch, and while it's a bit crude, I'll call it rustic;)

For these two blades I used the same method as above, using epoxy to secure the blades into the handles. I also made one handle oversize for my dominant hand for no other reason than just because!:)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Nothing wrong with 'rustic' but that was way below my first impressions.

My first thought were 'I need to do one of them sheaths. How did he do that?'

The handles are really nice with the grain of the brich. Nice polish on the blades as well.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Nice set of tools you got there! The handles look good and comfortable. Lately I have been wishing my spoon knife had a larger handle. It really helps with the leverage.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
personally I like smaller handles (I have little girly hands), but Monikieman has it right, that sheath is lovely! goodjob

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE