Carving rose wood???

A

andyBruce

I have been been pruning the roses in the garden and have a hefty bit of rose wood, ideal for carving....
so....
I've carved a small ring as a present for the girlie, but not knowing alot about its properties was wondering if anybody knew anything about it?

My main worry is, will it split, and is there anything in particular that would bring out the grain, make it look pretty and help preserve it???

Tankyou!

Andy

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
No idea as rosewood that you get in furniture isn't from roses is just named because of the colour its usually a tropical hardwood. Does your rose wood have any pith in it as wood with pith tends to spilt more as it dries.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
I'm a Scouter and I've made a couple of woggles using wood I pruned from a 40 year old rose bush. I love the grain on them. I can't comment on bigger bits though, unfortunately. Give it a go and let us know how you get on! :)

My favourite is in the one on the right. I made it for my wife, so my romantic credentials are sealed. :D I've since remade the one to the far left (which was the first one I did), and I wish I'd stabilised the knot on the one in the middle. Live and learn...

DSCF5753.jpg

A

andyBruce

I think there was a small amount of pith, but nothing substabtial!
I shall give it a go and see if i can work out how to post pics! :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've carved quite a few rings from the old rose bushes that i took out of my garden last year, most of them have split. i've got a fair bit put to one side seasoning to see what it's like to carve when it's had a bit of weather, hopefully i'll get better results with the seasoned wood then i did with the green.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE