Carving letters...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have carved a spoon for a friend's birthday and would like to adorn it with her initial. What is the best way to do it? Should I try chip carving or would a V-shaped gouge do the job just as well?

I have never done this sort of thing before, so any help or advice would be gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance,
Richard

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Chip carve will work. V gouge is ok but depends on the look you want for the start and end of the 'pen stroke'.

I would advise some practice - direction changes in the grain can catch you by surprise!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I suppose I could try burning it in but I'd be worried about going 'outside the lines' as it were, much like carving it in, really. I have got an offcut of the timber that I used for the spoon itself, so I will definitely practise on that first! I had hope to avoid curves in letters but sadly, there is one to wrestle with!

Oh, and the wood is wych elm. A bit of research seems to suggest that most folk use lime or basswood but I'm afraid I'm committed to this bit of hedgerow timber...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE