Carving idea needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBoon

Nov 23, 2012
Cheltenham
I'm looking for some inspriration for a carving project. I have a long piece of Sycamore, which is about 1 metre long, very straight and about as thick as my forearm. Not totally sure what to carve from it. Currently thinking perhaps a spear, using a sharpened flint and some pine resin as glue (basically similar to Ray Mears' arrows), but would be interesting to hear anyone else's suggestions.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Split it into many thinner pieces and round them and we will know if sycamore makes good arrows or not. 1 metre isn't so long for a spear.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If you go to meets where there are lots of people and large cooking pots, then an extra long spoon for stirring the food is an idea, or a big ladle, or a really long fork. Fishing spear also comes to mind.

It also sounds ideal for a woodspirit if you feel ambitious.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Chop it smaller and make a few spoons, figures etc

I agree. Watch though because Sycamore becomes very hard when dry, so take your time and have regular breaks when carving so you don't mess yourself up while doing something that's suppose to be relaxing. Post some pic's when your done, would like to see the finished products.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE