Carving Apple

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Ive got an apple tree that we will eventually be taking out (its more of a stump that has re-sprouted over the years) and today I took off a branch about 3cm diameter and am hoping to make a small spoon. Does anyone have any hints as to carving it? It seems very very hard

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Smells lovely just to carve into it
How would people suggest stopping splitting.

I knew I should have got the draw knives at the booty today :-s

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Apple wood is lovely stuff. I got a bunch when my Dad pruned some trees. I made a spoon for my little 'un.
DSCF2730sm.jpg

The grain is beautiful.
DSCF2721sm.jpg

She does like it honest, that's her "thinking about stuff" face.

Cheers

Grebby

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
chip some of the smaller stuff (the stuff you cant carve) up and use it for smoking your meats or fish, applewood gives a lovely taste!

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thanks for the help guys, Im hoping to give it another go soon, forming the rough shape with an axe then take it from there.

I know this will have been covered a thousand times but when do I oil it an what with. I know the saying Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and once a year for life, but do I oil as soon as its carved?

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
I was just looking at greensurfingbear's kuska post and some on there said that soaking with washing up liquid/water for a couple of days makes the wood softer and easier to work. Maybe you could try that.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know this will have been covered a thousand times but when do I oil it an what with. I know the saying Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and once a year for life, but do I oil as soon as its carved?

If I bother to oil a spoon I normally leave it a couple weeks to allow it to dry out fully. I've had good results with walnut oil but so long as it's a food grade oil it doesn't matter what you use.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
If I bother to oil a spoon I normally leave it a couple weeks to allow it to dry out fully. I've had good results with walnut oil but so long as it's a food grade oil it doesn't matter what you use.

Ive just seen in another thread about people soaking in hot water to bring the grain out. Would that be soak in hot water overnight to bring out the grain then leave to dry for a few weeks, then oil?

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I am in the process of chopping down an apple tree in my garden, I'm using a small 2 lb hand axe.
I had a go at it a couple of days ago, but I get very tired doing things lately as I have a health complaint.
It is only eight inches across, and is in the shape of a bow for some unknown reason.
Going to finish it off tomorrow.
When I'm up and running I hope to do something with it.
Might try it out on an old axe head.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE