Carving a Net Needle

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I was recently given a Vic Alox Farmer and it has become my new EDC knife. The Farmer is a very strong knife and has a good assortment of tools for bushcraft or wilderness survival. I thought I'd give it a workout and carve a net needle.

If you have never carved a net needle they are a lot of fun. They involve all sorts of cuts with the knife and several other tools on a SAK. I think it is a much better test of a knife than just making fuzz sticks or a figure four. This afternoon I recorded the process on video and compressed it down to show all the steps and types of cuts in five minutes (including one break to stop the bleeding).

Mac

Carving a Net Needle

aloxnetneedle.jpg

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Nice vid Mac.
They're interesting tools to carve aren't they? Well done with the SAK, I prefer the fine tip of my Mora carving knife for the small radii at the base of the tongue and the inside of the tail of a needle.
I have a needle made by an old relative of mine from Polperro in Cornwall. This needle is now about 80 years old and is made of a thin strip of oak and was clearly hand carved. I've used it as a pattern several times, but each copy never seems to feel as good as the original in action. Still, gives me an excuse for another go eh!

Intertidal

pwb

Good vid. Fine work on the net needle, never used one but judging by the holes in our strawberry net perhaps I should carve a small needle and learn :) .

It's good to see a knife demonstrated through use, a lot better than the usual table top reviews on YouTube.

I recently bought a Vic Farmer, what first struck me about it is how much more substantial the main blade is in comparison with a standard SAK. Came as bit of a surprise.

Cheers, Pete.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
That,s a nice video Pict and a well executed netting needle, I wish I could get them that good

I have a needle made by an old relative of mine from Polperro in Cornwall. This needle is now about 80 years old and is made of a thin strip of oak and was clearly hand carved. I've used it as a pattern several times, but each copy never seems to feel as good as the original in action. Still, gives me an excuse for another go eh!

Intertidal

Any chance of a photo of that old needle?

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
I find juniper as a nice wood for netting needles. The one on the left I made 3 years ago from juniper. The middle is unused and made from pine and is quite bad, I probably light my next fire with it. The one on the right is less then 1 year old and made from juniper and I only used my Mora carving knife on it. Great fun!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
To my mind, the awl on the Farmer is the best sort of awl you can have. The other type on SAKs is just rubbish compared to the Farmers' version. I bored a hole through seasoned hazel to fit my bow drill bow string and it took no time at all and left a really neat hole. I tried the same with the other type of awl and it also left a neat hole but it took far more time and effort. With the saw blade too, the farmer is an excellent tool for nipping out and harvesting a few good hazel staffs!

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I've been very impressed with the Farmer. It certainly is a sturdy knife. I do miss the small knife blade on my Hunstman, but the awl position and design is superior. For certain cuts you can choke up on the main blade of the Farmer, but it always carries an element of risk.

With the Farmer the Alox scales and thicker blade give a greater measure of confidence when making power cuts. The Farmer trades off some tools for in extra strength but the result is a minimalist knife that works well for bushcraft. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE