Carved boat style bowl

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
100_3793.jpg

Full write up and pics here if you fancy a look

http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/carved-boat-style-bowl.html

Really enjoy making these and I'm getting the time down on each one now too.

100_3798.jpg

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers for the comments guys. I forgot to add something for scale, its big enough to feed me well, put it that way :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hugo thanks. 106s are cracking knives for the price and so blooming sharp its almost effortless

Tom, get one done, Its very easy once you have the tools. This one only took 3 1/2 hrs to a tooled finish. The adze really speeds things up paired with a long bent gouge.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I really like the looks of that, what a great idea. I'm becoming more interested in that type of work (bowl making) using an adze. I think you and Kepis are going to cost me some money:)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks fellas.

bb07, it can be a cheap hobby overall especially if you can sell a few peices to pay for the tools. The adze helps a lot and its a shame you dont come across small second hand ones the same way you can with hatchets at car boots and the like. Just a gouge is fine though for smaller bowls and a really good one is around £25. Combine that with a wooden mallet (homemade of course) and your onto a winner.

Bodge, I like the bark too, so I think this one will by for my keys, change, phone and the like. I can make another now for eating out of :)
Just got to think of something daft to carve as a figure head ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE