Carrying your fire steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ianpatt

Feb 26, 2013
Essex
I use the Lars Falt knife with my Fire Steel, trouble is there is no holder on the sheath so my question, is there something I can get to clip it to the sheath in some way instead of it dangling, what do you guys use?

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Doesn't look great on a tiny neck knife but you will get the idea.
Piece of inner tube. Lets you fit a variety of items from a lighter to a ferrorod and for example mini light. And at the same time you have a some emergency waterproof tinder and a source of ranger bands.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I use the Lars Falt knife with my Fire Steel, trouble is there is no holder on the sheath so my question, is there something I can get to clip it to the sheath in some way instead of it dangling, what do you guys use?

A perfectly reasonable question if that's what you want to do. But you asked what we do, so, I have to ask, why?

Like John, mine is in my fire starting pouch. I have never felt the urge to suddenly whip out my ferro rod and start a fire! I light a fire, at most, once a day so it's not exactly my most used tool.

But, to each their own path :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I too have my Light My Fire ferro-rod in a tinder pouch in my pack, where there is also material to catch the spark and extend a flame. I have a little Exotac which might get pocket carried, but I have never been all that interested in putting loops on sheaths. I make my own sheaths in both leather and Kydex, so not having fire steel carried on my sheaths is very much my choice rather than being imposed upon me.

All that said, if you want to attach a fire steel to an existing sheath, the inner tube option is a good one. A leather loop will need to be sewn in and will be all too much fuss

Reactions: ianpatt

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Is there any knife on the market that was designed by a well known survival instructor that has a ferrocerium rod loop at the sheath?

I think there is none and the reason is that they corrode if they get moist.

Reactions: Rockfarm

ianpatt

Feb 26, 2013
Essex
A perfectly reasonable question if that's what you want to do. But you asked what we do, so, I have to ask, why?

Like John, mine is in my fire starting pouch. I have never felt the urge to suddenly whip out my ferro rod and start a fire! I light a fire, at most, once a day so it's not exactly my most used tool.

But, to each their own path :)
Well simply because when I go out for a wander I rarely know if I am staying out so I don't take a backpack but I always take my knife and if it gets late I just set up camp, if it's with the knife I won't forget it.

ianpatt

Feb 26, 2013
Essex
Is there any knife on the market that was designed by a well known survival instructor that has a ferrocerium rod loop at the sheath?

I think there is none and the reason is that they corrode if they get moist.
This one does, and he is quite well known.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well simply because when I go out for a wander I rarely know if I am staying out so I don't take a backpack but I always take my knife and if it gets late I just set up camp, if it's with the knife I won't forget it.

Ah, OK, if that suits the way you wander :)

Where do you go wandering that you wear a 4.5" blade knife 'in case you need it' though?

Reactions: Herman30

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Depends on how pristine you want to keep your existing sheath. You could get some 1.2-2mm leather and glue a 2" wide strip around the upper part of the sheath so that it forms a loop over the welt. The ferro rod would be fitted between the welt and the new leather. The new leather could be stitched to itself, or just glued to the sheath, but any glue that is good enough to keep it there won't come off and leave the sheath nice looking.

Reactions: ianpatt

ianpatt

Feb 26, 2013
Essex
Well I have found a lanyard with a belt loop and a magnetic catch that seems like it will do the job, sounds complicated but it isn't, as long as there together all the time might do the trick. Not going to pay this much, I'll buy the bits and make the leather strap. Thanks to everyone's ideas and comments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE