Carrying of Food

I was going to use the search function but its broken. Oh and it wasn't me either :p

I have read quite a few people on the forum when out camping they will knock up some stew with beef & veg or have a fry up with sausage and bacon.
But one thing that came mind is how can this raw meat be carried without going off or will it be fine and Im just being paranoid :bluThinki

It may be something simple im missing.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This time of year I'd chance fresh meat for a couple of days no problem. In warmer weather I pack something frozen along with fresh stuff and keep it in an insulated Coke can 6pk bag. In swealtering heat I'd carry meat frozen and try to eat it as soon as possible, once it's cooked I'll make it last a few more days by adding to other ingredients.

Last edited:

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Like Shewie said, and in the warmer month I'll hang the foodbag. The frozen stuff inside defrosts slowly, condensation forms on the bag, the condensation evaporates, cooling the contents.

I'll happily hang food for a weekend with this method. You could prolong the effect by spraying the bag now and again. Oh, and don't hang it in direct sunlight.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I just to carry cured meats, a good dry bacon, chorizo, parma ham etc. These are products made to last outside of a fridge.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Not much to add to the above really.
As others have said - in the short term you can use fresh meat, but long term go for cured meats. All dependent on time of year.

I was going to use the search function but its broken. Oh and it wasn't me either :p
But one thing that came mind is how can this raw meat be carried without going off or will it be fine and Im just being paranoid :bluThinki

A local butcher here will vacuum pack the joints or cuts for free. Makes a big difference both in package size, hygiene and use by time. Might be worth mooching around and asking.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
good quality drycured bacon will last quite well.
I tend to freeze stuff and keep it in insulated bags.
I'll buy stuff a few days before I go away, portion it into ziplock bags and freeze it.
If you're in a static camp, dig a hole and store your perishable food in that.
as long as it's not too hot you can get a good few days out of it.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I just to carry cured meats, a good dry bacon, chorizo, parma ham etc. These are products made to last outside of a fridge.

I agree. The other alrenative is look down the supermarket aisle not in the fridge section. A clear indicator it's ok to carry for several days. Small tinned stuff is good as it doen't take up to much room, but you do have to carry the tin away with you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE