carrying meths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
C_Claycomb said:
I like the idea of Coke bottles, don't know why I didn't think of it. I have used cola bottles of 0.5 and 1 litre for water for ages, the seals are good, sure they get battered and bent, but I have yet to have one leak and they are cheap to replace. The polyester certainly isn't bothered by meths.

And you can park a car on them quite safely.... :rolleyes:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I have had good sucess with the plastic bottles sold for carrying spirits,{ drinking type , that is], over here you see them in thrift stores all the time and they are very inexspensive. I use a mil. surplus trangia and for its needs they are ideal, something to consider.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Small update - in a previous post I mentioned that Swedish army Trangia plastic bottles were reported to leak, but that I'd had no problems with three of them.

I spoke to soon - one of them's started to leak.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I've used both a plastic water bottle (not a pop bottle) and a sigg for years with no problems.

As you say, the plastic 'panda pops' bottles are cheap to replace if they leak, that's fine but when meths leaks the smell and taste gets into everything, food, clothes the whole sack - I'd much rather it didn't leak in the first place!

I'd be very carefull about carrying it in the burner itself (as suggested back at the begining of this thread), the meths melts the rubber seal after not very long which then clogs up the little holes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE