Carrying an axe in the UK - In sight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
What are peoples thoughts on carrying an axe on the outside of your pack in the UK. I understand the law so I'm not asking if it is legal or not, as I understand it so long as I have reasonable cause i.e. it's on my backpack, its head is sheathed and I'm heading into the woods as I often do where I might chop wood and im going direct (as in I won't be popping into the local Tesco with it on my way there). Then I should have no issues. I have had no trouble to date and have seen local plod passing in their car on my journeys too and from also.

The head is sheathed and packed in such a way that it is partially hidden behind a molle side pouch on my pack. However, the handle is very obvious I imagine to anyone passing me, particularly as it rises about 2 inches above the height of my pack.

I imagine most peeps hide it inside their pack at least until they are alone and off the beaten track in the same way we probably do with our knives.

Just interested to know others thoughts really.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Loup

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I would always try at least to have anything like that (axes, knives, other sharps/tools, etc.) inside my pack, just to avoid scrutiny and any unwanted attention. Suffice to say, so long as you can provide good reasoning as to why you are carrying, then you should be fine.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I’ve always found axes to be more acceptable than knives for some reason.
carried the way you describe seems reasonable to me

How do you prove reasonable cause?
Follow me to the woods and watch me chop? And then tell me how else I am meant to accomplish same task without it

Seriously though, I am wearing a large pack full of the type of kit one would expect to be carrying if say they were camping for example, or intending to carry out some sort of bushcraft or woodland task. I'm also dressed to match the kit I am carrying. I would say that it is blatantly clear that it forms a part of my overall kit. In exactly the same way as I/we would need to prove reasonable cause for carrying our knives I suspect.

In any case, as I said, I'm keen to hear thoughts and not discuss legalities. I'm quite happy that I've got that end covered.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
If you let me play devil´s advocat for a while;

A police officer stopping you might argue that chopping wood is not at all necessary. You are not in any danger where you have to have a fire for survival, you aare just out to have some fun and get fresh air. And thus you have no reasonable cause.

But seroiusly, I ´m on your side here in this matter.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
If you let me play devil´s advocat for a while;

A police officer stopping you might argue that chopping wood is not at all necessary. You are not in any danger where you have to have a fire for survival, you aare just out to have some fun and get fresh air. And thus you have no reasonable cause.

But seroiusly, I ´m on your side here in this matter.

Reasonable excuse and necessity are two completely different things. The axe is a tool , it is going to be used for that purpose,, the question of necessity is irrelevant.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Follow me to the woods and watch me chop? And then tell me how else I am meant to accomplish same task without it

Seriously though, I am wearing a large pack full of the type of kit one would expect to be carrying if say they were camping for example, or intending to carry out some sort of bushcraft or woodland task. I'm also dressed to match the kit I am carrying. I would say that it is blatantly clear that it forms a part of my overall kit. In exactly the same way as I/we would need to prove reasonable cause for carrying our knives I suspect.

In any case, as I said, I'm keen to hear thoughts and not discuss legalities. I'm quite happy that I've got that end covered.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com
It was a genuine question because I do not feel confident that I'd get far with arguing the case to a copper who wants an easy result. Such as person voluntarily handing over the axe. Second option unvoluntarily handing over the axe.

Having said that I do think you'd be ok as you're going straight from home to woods with associated kit. You could get pinged for lockdown reasons if you meet a difficult officer I suppose.

Personally I always put bladed tools in the rucksack like others have said. Can't question you about something that's not visible.

I think there was a slightly similar thread on this forum about carrying a rifle in a slip when walking from car or home to a place that shoot at. Legal but concerned about potential for issues. Harder to be discrete with a rifle/gun though. I do think the op is being discrete with the axe despite it being on the outside of his sack.

Anyone have such a discussion about this with an officer? Any police officers in here for the view from the other side?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, my two pence worth - whereas I agree that what you are doing is legal (and you don't want to discuss that bit :) ), and I agree with sundog to some extent that hiding something looks like you've got something to hide - it's not the plod that I would be worried about carrying an axe in view down the street, it's the public and their distorted view of what's allowed, legal and acceptable. If someone calls 999 then your day is likely going to be ruined anyway. Why not tuck it away and just not invite a potential problem?

I tend to stay as discrete as possible when in public.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
OK, my two pence worth - whereas I agree that what you are doing is legal (and you don't want to discuss that bit :) ), and I agree with sundog to some extent that hiding something looks like you've got something to hide - it's not the plod that I would be worried about carrying an axe in view down the street, it's the public and their distorted view of what's allowed, legal and acceptable. If someone calls 999 then your day is likely going to be ruined anyway. Why not tuck it away and just not invite a potential problem?

Exposing the public to such things and subsequent possible education of plod is a good thing.
I know I know y'all prefer to hide away it always happens when I pop up on these threads but I can't help it. These things were a non issue when I was a boy (not that long ago) and hiding our lights under bushels has only contributed to that imo so I will carry on treating tools like tools

Because ' it rises about 2 inches above the height of my pack' - doesn't fit - actually its probably more than 2 inches :)

But in any case, as I said, I'm happy with my setup personally. Just interested in how others approach the same issue.

Just dug this out. You cannot see how the head is tucked away but you can see that it wouldn't be a comfortable fit if it was inside. Though this pic does make it look longer than it is, overall length is 50cm. If you look closely between the tripod legs you can just make out the side pouch and the head is tucked in behind that.

20200420_115031.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Exposing the public to such things and subsequent possible education of plod is a good thing.
I know I know y'all prefer to hide away it always happens when I pop up on these threads but I can't help it. These things were a non issue when I was a boy (not that long ago) and hiding our lights under bushels has only contributed to that imo so I will carry on treating tools like tools

I'm more interested in getting on with my day than educating others - yep, that's selfish but life's too short to tilt at windmills :)

Reactions: Herman30

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
To share my story of perception: a very long time ago when I travelled I ended up with a small group on the out skirts of Marrakech having to camp the night I made an excursion inside to one of the sukes and knowing it would be cold decided to buy a Black full length with pointy hat traditional robe, it served the purposed for guard duty that night and many other nights, now to the point I had a new girlfriend she lived in Tottenham London so I drove to visit her and she was not in so I decided to sit on the kerb, so I go and get afore mention wonkeynoby robe sit back on the kerb and who should come along the local constabulary out they get and ask me what am I doing, I tell them waiting for my Girlfriend one of the officers bends down and looks at me and said how did you get here so I pointed at my car, please Sir either remove the robe or go and sit in the car did you not notice people crossing the road, we have had 6 phone calls about a jedi knight sitting on the kerb and it frightening them, that was people perception I was an innocent guy just waiting for my girl friend, I was not trying to hide but my clothes changed peoples perception of what I was?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'm more interested in getting on with my day than educating others - yep, that's selfish but life's too short to tilt at windmills :)

Yep most people tend to be scared selfish or both unfortunately. Which makes for an ever decreasing vicious circle

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I won't apologise; I happen to think that the laws are sensible, they suit how I want to do things, and I'll get on with my life. I'm not interested in the least on campaigning for the benefit of others that want to do things differently; there are more worthy causes for me to support.

Sorry OLO, as usual we're drifting off the intended course of discussion - as I said, I don't offer any reason to upset anybody (ignorant or otherwise) so my axe is in my bag with my belt knife and folding saw until I get to my destination where I need them :). I take your point though, if the axe won't fit in the bag it's got to be outside. Also, the way you're carrying it, it's not obvious to the general public what it is anyway.

Nice Spaniel BTW :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Broch mate, I never suggested people break the law or I was campaigning to change it, people always take this stance with me in these threads for reasons I don't understand.

Didn't ask for an apology either but it's something I'm incredibly passionate about so will always stick to my way of thinking

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
What you are doing looks fine but I always tuck things away. No point in taking a chance with Joe public or any other jobsworth. Spoils our pleasure, I know but it saves any grief. Just MO.

What are peoples thoughts on carrying an axe on the outside of your pack in the UK. I understand the law so I'm not asking if it is legal or not, as I understand it so long as I have reasonable cause i.e. it's on my backpack, its head is sheathed and I'm heading into the woods as I often do where I might chop wood and im going direct (as in I won't be popping into the local Tesco with it on my way there). Then I should have no issues. I have had no trouble to date and have seen local plod passing in their car on my journeys too and from also.

The head is sheathed and packed in such a way that it is partially hidden behind a molle side pouch on my pack. However, the handle is very obvious I imagine to anyone passing me, particularly as it rises about 2 inches above the height of my pack.

I imagine most peeps hide it inside their pack at least until they are alone and off the beaten track in the same way we probably do with our knives.

Just interested to know others thoughts really.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com
I always carry my tomahawk & knives on my person where I can get at them if needed for self defence, but then I no longer live in the UK. The only axe I carry on my pack occasionally if I have heavier work to do is my half-axe.
EQUIPMENT-2.jpg

Take care & stay safe.
Regards, Keith.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Using a normal rucksack I tend to put everything inside of it.
German Army folding mat, inflatable air mat, pot, knive, hatchet.
Heavy stuff belongs next to the person.

Yes, I used German, Swiss and Swedish Tornisters too, where I attached mess kit and woolen blanket etc. outside, how they are constructed, but a normal rucksack usually is constructed to put the things inside of it.

But I have no problems to walk with an uncovered axe over the shoulder through Berlin, if there is a reason for it, for example because I bought it or if I need it to help somebody in the neighbourhood.

I don't need an axe or a knife to kill somebody. A good stick or a screwdriver or a bigger stone would be enough.

I think a high quality steel spoon would be in my hands a relatively dangerous weapon too, if I would be attacked.

That international fashion to limit knife sizes is totally idiotic in my opinion.
In WW 1 the entrenching tool was in fashion as a weapon, old foxes preferred it over the bayonet.

Most things can be used as a weapon.
A simple wine bottle for example can become in a second a horrible weapon. Nearly every larger tool as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE