Carp fleece lined doss bags

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Looking to get an all season sleeping bag for my hammock but like most of us I'm trying to get the most for my money as possible. With the trusted brands coming with a premium price I thought I'd look at different markets.

Does anyone one use the fleece lined bags that the carp fishermen use. I have spoken to a couple of guys that use them with their chair beds that rave about them. I know they are big but as I don't yomp too far it's not much of a bother, besides I currently use a Czech army bedroll with a summer bag inside in colder months and that thing is mahoosive.

I'm currently knocking up an under quilt from the cheapest, nastiest old sleeping bag I have and not a very warm one at that but my thinking is if I can trap a bit of air and have a decent doss bag I'm laughing.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Most of the carp fishing gear is well overbuilt. These guys sit out for long periods without moving, so their gear needs to be warm and comfortable. Quite why they sit out, I have no idea :D

I used my Coleman Big Basin last year, but though I was warm and had plenty of room, I think a more body hugging bag would be warmer if the weather is really cold.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a Buffalo liner that Sandbender gave me years ago. It's made from OD fleece. It has a pertex outer shell that fits over the whole thing too.
It's warm. It's very warm :) It's big though.

M

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The bags made for carp anglers are designed with a sleeve top and bottom to fit the bedchair they sleep on this makes them big and wide. A big square bag will take a lot to warm truand leave a lot of cold spots. I was a carp angler for over 25 years and no matter what sleeping bag I used I ended up swapping back to my arctic bag.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Too bulky and heavy for me, for the warmth which you get. For hammocks, i'd look into quilts. A normal sleeping bag quilt for when it's warm, and a warmer one for winter, combined with an underquilt. sleeping bags are just a bit too wastefull. the benefits of the bottom insulation is practically useless since it gets compressed, so quilt and underquilt is the way to go. This is from someone who likes his things light and a bit more backpack friendly, not a base camp setup ;).

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Cheers for the replies. I would in an ideal world go for the quilt option as the only thing I don't like lightweight is my wallet. I can't justify the cost against the amount of time I go out so looking for the best option. Good point regarding cold spots and heating a big space. Might have to dig out the old Chinese fighting suit.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Check the cumulus quilts. They aren't pricy compared to a sleeping bag, unless you go for cheap bags. They also are quite good from what i heard, and when i get a new sleeping bag, it'll probably be the 350 quilt from them instead.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
£30-40 gets you the latest UK issue Medium weight sleeping bag in new condition, based on the Corinthia Defense 4 sleeping bag. Rated to -15 deg C (if this is to be believed) its a centre zipper so better for hammocking than a side zip bag. It's synthetic fill so a bit on the large/weighty side but compresses down a shade smaller the Combat 95 issue sleeping bag. Comes in 2 sizes - normal (1.85m long) and large (2m long).
I've just bought 2 complete with the poly cotton liners for me and the boy. The full system (including the lightweight/summer bag and MVP bivvi bag) is rated to -30.

I do have the Snugpak under quilt as well. Currently looking for a larger bergan for the winter LOL. I'm using the Webtex 70Ltr 3/4 PLCE bergan at the minute(got it for the boy but he now has the full sized one). OK for summer where I can use my Snugpak Tropical bag, but for the amount of gear I'll be taking when it gets cold I'll need the full sized bergan.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
You won't do much better than a british army arctic bag, for the money. They can be had for between £20 - £30, on here, or a well known auction site.

I sold mine on here, last month for £20. They are a big & bulky, but great bags for the colder weather. And like you say, you won't be walking far to your camping spot.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
As a carp angler I've used a good number of sleeping bags designed for use with bedchairs. As has been said they are big, bulky but pretty warm. Personally I don't like the fleece lined ones as they tend to grip your clothes (I sleep fully dressed in case I get a fish in the night) if you attach the bag to the bedchair.... I ended up ripping the lining of my Trakker bag like that.
I now prefer the nylon lined bags, my current one is made by Wychwood, and allows me to slide when I turn over and not tie myself in knots...
There are lots of brands available and they are not too expensive when compared to a hiking or mountain type down bag. I leave mine permanently attached to the bedchair and add a goretex/pile bedchair cover over the top if it's particularly cold.
cheers
Gareth

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have one of these: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/chill-out-4-season-bag-std-p368960

It is very warm but very good at regulating my temperature so I don't overheat. It's also instantly warm with the fleece doing a great job of making it snug. It is heavy so while it does have additional room, the weight of the bag actually moulds it to your shape and it's quite efficient.

It packs massive though, only useful for car camping or if you have a mule to hand.

Would I recommend it? - yes.
Would I recommend a british army sleeping bag as well? - yes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE