Carnuba Wax

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Here's one for you leatherworkers out there.
I've started using Carnuba wax on some of my leather work, feels nice, looks good except when i buff it, even lightly, it seems to take off some of the dye
censored.gif

I'm using either veg tan or chrome tanned leather.

Any ideas or fixatives i should be using?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm no expert, but I've found a fair bit of rub-off on the first application, but if I do a second application of wax once the first is really dry (e.g. next day), I don't get so much. It tends to come out on the cloth with which I apply the wax, but not on the buffing cloth.

Geoff

leon-1

Here's one for you leatherworkers out there.
I've started using Carnuba wax on some of my leather work, feels nice, looks good except when i buff it, even lightly, it seems to take off some of the dye
censored.gif

I'm using either veg tan or chrome tanned leather.

Any ideas or fixatives i should be using?

Hi Nat, I take it you are talking about Carnauba Wax as a leather preperation rather than the wax itself. The actual wax itself is very hard (used in french polishing and laquers).

The cream may be slightly mixing with the dye, especially if the majority of the dye is on the surface of the leather and has not penetrated deeply. This would explain the dye lifting and areas becoming lighter.

You will always get a little dye bleed when you initially treat leather after dyeing unless it has been coated with an acrylic treatment like resolene.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Be aware that Resolene does give a very shiny, almost plasticy finish and that (I think) you won't apply wax/cream on top of it - I'm pretty sure it is just a final finish. I found that the finish from LeatherSheen was a nicer one than Resolene - still a bit shiny, but more of a matt finish.

Also, be careful how you apply Resolene. I've only applied it so far over Fiebings Antique finish, and I found it difficult not to get it to streak when applied with a sponge or brush. I'm thinking of getting a cheap airbrush to apply it as a spray. It may be better when applied over a dye.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE