Carnivore scat - Shenandoah National Park, VA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi,

perhaps some of you hunter/tracker types would be able to help me identify these scat found on a trail in Shenandoah National Park this weekend.

DSCF0033.jpg
and
DSCF0036.jpg

The older scat had what appeared to be bones and skin/gristle in and lots of hair. I'm assuming the fresher specimen came from the same or similar beastie.

Overall length of knife is about 3" (~7.5 cm)

Could post larger images if that helps.

Thanks

Steffan

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I don't think I fulfill your criteria, but they look like some sort of big cat, can't really see if they're twisted at all. Was their any other sign around the scat? scratches in the soil, was it on an obvious high psot?

Mar 2, 2004
no idea but this thread is s**t..literally!
where is shenandoagh park then?
the second one looks like a cumberland sausage.

Justin Time said:
I don't think I fulfill your criteria, but they look like some sort of big cat, can't really see if they're twisted at all. Was their any other sign around the scat? scratches in the soil, was it on an obvious high psot?

Couldn't see any other sign such as tracks - although I looked for a while up and down the trail. Not obvious high spot - just open on the trail. There were 2 fresh scat within 200m of each other, and the older one another 100m down the trail.

My first thought on the cat front was cougar, but there aren't supposed to be that many (if at all) left in Virginia according to a quick search of the net that I did last night.

S

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
wolf turd has a lot of hair in it,i really wish i could answer you with confidence, i just bought animal tracks and signs which is brilliant,once again another door has been opened, there`s a pic of wolf scat in it and it looks like the top one, full of hair . hope that helps, if you find out by an expert can you let me know please ? this is an area i really want to explore also steff how did you break your axe ? cheers al

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Coyote.

Possibly feral dog, but I'll wager coyote. No wolves or mountain lion in those parts, that I am aware of anyway. :wink: Definitely not bear sh!t, and way too big for fox. That leaves coyote, feral dogs (I say feral because of the fur in it) or a human with a strange diet. :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE