carabiner help

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
The force on anchor point depends on a number of factors including angle and load.

Yeah but....
The biner is not the anchor point, at least not on my rig, the biner joins the hammock strap to the tree hugger, therefore it's in-line & not subject to angle forces.
The tree hugger is the thing that has angle's etc
Oh yeah..I cant get that link to open :confused:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The flatter the rope is stretched that takes a load the more load on the anchor points, its the same principle as in tyrolean traverses.
This...
The calculation of forces is very complicated, as there is a huge range of factors. Rope stretch (in itself very complex), whether the anchors are at the same height, whether a rope is used to pull the weight to the end, and so on. You don’t have a hope of getting a correct answer, so bear in mind the fundamental principles for reducing the forces.

a) Don’t tension the rope too much. It’s easier for instructors to work if the rope is really horizontal, but this is the worst thing for increasing stress on the system. To achieve this, only use a 1:3 system as illustrated to get tension into the rope - that way you can’t over-tension it.
b) Also consider just how horizontal it needs to be in reality. If you can put up with hauling people uphill a bit at the end of their traverse (or they can do it for themselves), then the system will be less tensioned.
The forces will be the same horizontally as the person/load crosses the rope - however they will vary vertically, as the angle of the rope changes. This doesn’t ordinarily affect operation much in our case.
c) Ideally the sag should be 15 degrees or more - this way the load on the end will never exceed 2 x the weight of the person/load (approximately of course!).
d) If one end is higher than the other, the horizontal forces are still the same - but the vertical force is greater at the top end of your traverse. In this case put any tensioning equipment and/or pulling ropes at the bottom end if possible so it stresses the end which has the easiest job!

From HERE

This is also showing roughly the same principle.
fig5-16.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about something that curves as much as a hammock though as it will have enough sag.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE