carabiner help

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
hi all
can anyone explain Kn on a carabiner, im looking for some to put on my hammock and found one thats arround 23KN but im not sure if that will hold my weight, im arround 84kg? All I need to know will it hold me really
thanx

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
not quiet.Kg / tonne is a unit of mass n is a unit of force.

n = kg * m/s sq.

2.3t static loads

But it works as an approximation for working out the strength of a biner to be used on a hammock:)

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
But it works as an approximation for working out the strength of a biner to be used on a hammock:)
Indeed - static force is fine for working out a hammock, unless you're planning on jumping into it from a great height!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Any proper climbing carabiner will be fine but the crappy things that middle management use like keyrings are good for nothing apart from middle management key hanging.
Jangle, Jangle, how's about that then boys and girls...

so do You think 2kn will be ok for my hammock, if it helps I weigh about 84kg?

No because of the angle that you suspend your hammock from. If the angle from the load (you) to the anchor point (tree) is greater than 120 degrees then you place more weight on the anchor point - which will include your carabiner, than the weight of the load. So when we go for a nice flat hammock (180 degrees) the force we place on the anchor is way more than what we weigh. Of course the hammock is never completely horizontal but you get the idea, so using a weak crab that will only hold double your weight will probably not last very long.

Last edited:

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
No because of the angle that you suspend your hammock from. If the angle from the load (you) to the anchor point (tree) is greater than 120 degrees then you place more weight on the anchor point - which will include your carabiner, than the weight of the load. So when we go for a nice flat hammock (180 degrees) the force we place on the anchor is way more than what we weigh. Of course the hammock is never completely horizontal but you get the idea, so using a weak crab that will only hold double your weight will probably not last very long.

That does not sound right. If his weight is 84kg then where does the extra force come from

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Satyr No because of the angle that you suspend your hammock from. If the angle from the load (you) to the anchor point (tree) is greater than 120 degrees then you place more weight on the anchor point - which will include your carabiner, than the weight of the load. So when we go for a nice flat hammock (180 degrees) the force we place on the anchor is way more than what we weigh. Of course the hammock is never completely horizontal but you get the idea, so using a weak crab that will only hold double your weight will probably not last very long.

That does not sound right. If his weight is 84kg then where does the extra force come from

Yeah, that don't sound right.
IF the biner was hanging straight down, with 2 strops holding the load, then the max spread between the 2 strops is 120 deg.
BUT seeing as the biner is IN-LINE with the load the weight passes straight through the biner, no matter what angle the hammock hanging gear is hanging from the tree.

EdS

Problem is you are thinknig in mass (load) not force. 84kg is mass (load), not force. The force on anchor point depends on a number of factors including angle and load.

A little light reading:
http://www.ropebook.com/information/vector-forces

Basically:
Force = load/cos angle x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE