Canvas suited for blade sheaths

Jan 24, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi

Have a collection of tools I would like to make sleeves or sheaths for, ideally from some form of rugged canvas.

I gather "Duck" canvas is more rugged than normal canvas, but what weight would be best suited for things like Billhooks, Axes, Knives, Sickles etc

The range seems to be #12 (lightest – 14.73 oz/yd2 or 499 grams/m2) to #1 (heaviest – 32 oz/yd2 or 1085 grams/m2).

I want my local taylor to be able to stitch it. Presumably he has some sort of heavy duty machine, but I don't want a fabric that's going to require industrial machinery obviously.

Many thanks

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think you'd be best off making a wooden liner and a canvas cover for the liner. Any really sharp edge is going to cut up canvas pretty quickly.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If I were you I'd speak to your local tailor before you buy any canvas, and ask him what he's able to stitch; and the post above is very sound advice as no canvas will withstand sharps for long.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
To be honest, anything that's heavy enough to do the job is going to be beyond the sort of material a tailors machines could handle. Look at the stuff they made the issue sheaths for the 1944 pat machete and golok and it's the same heavy stuff that the pouches and packs are made from. Sometimes the people who make awnings and , I forget what they are called, the cloth tents for the back of lorries and landies, will make stuff to order, rigger pouches and cases for Dutch ovens and alike.

The heavy canvas sheaths I've come across often have sheet metal or thick leather inserts at strategic points.

ATB

TOM

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
As said above, you're better off making a liner for the blades first. You could use wood or leather and have someone local stitch up a cover, over which you could attach a leather frog. I've seen it done a few times with kukris.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If want really cheap way... use hessian sand bags. Put tool in, and tie around handle. Never had a problem transporting tools covered that way.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A lot of military cutting tools have canvas/webbing cases, now nylon but cotton back in the day. Much cheaper and could be impregnated to make rot proof, a important consideration when being used in the tropics.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE