canvas repairs advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've a fairly small project that'll need some sewing

does anyone have any advice regarding the required thread and hand needles I might use

I've also looked at speedy stichers - are they any good?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What are you actually sewing Corso, is it just a patch or do you think you'll have to go throuh multiple layers and what sort of weight canvas?

Also do you want to use synthetic or natural threads as the needle size will depend on that.

Speed stitchers are good but you can do a saddle type stich just as easy by sewing a running stitch one way and coming back on the line filling in the spaces.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And mind that canvas frays, so it's really worth those fold overs at the edges...which makes it a bit of pain to sew :sigh:

Decent needles....carpet sharps work well when sewing canvas by hand.
Probably best and easiest to suggest you have a look at JohnJames for those. 16, 17 or 18 Sharp is the needle you're looking for.
Afaik, they're still open for business, posting regularly and they've got a discount offer going too.
About a third of the way down this page shows the needles at actual size.

Basically you need strong, sharp, and with a decent sized eye to carry thick enough thread easily. Not a wide eye which would be a pain to pull through multiple layers.

For thread, it really ought to match the weight of the fabric, but an awful lot of modern cotton thread is carp. If you have something suitable for sewing jeans then that would do, but you'd be better either with heavy-ish linen thread or some of the polyester stuff sold for making/repairing webbing.

Barbour, linen thread....type that into eBay and see what comes up. Don't go too heavy, not mattress cord, even though that is superb thread.
More like this kind of stuff ...still a bit heavy, but bulletproof, iimmc ? I wouldn't put it through a domestic sewing machine, but it'll sew anything heavy and hold.

For polyester, this is the kind of stuff you're looking for.

It does come in a range of colours, not just OD.

Best of luck with it :)
M

Reactions: Corso

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Im looking to go through 2 already hemmed pieces of canvas that need the thread replaced because it rotten/broken

OD is just what i'm after thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That was just the first link that I found that was 'right'. It might pay to have a look around for a better price ?
That said, I haven't bought any in a long time so have no idea of the prices now for it.

How much do you need ?
I know the thread's good and it is useful and it wears and lasts very well, but if you're only doing two foot of stitching, a full cop runs expensive.
If you're only going to need enough to do a little then a Gutterman's reel of similar stuff would be an awful lot cheaper.
If you lived nearer I'd say just borrow the big cop I have and use what you need. It started at 5,000m and I'm pretty sure there's at least 3/4 of it left.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good point (no pun intended :) )
I admit I look for my thimble before I look for a needle.

The other thing that's awfully useful is a needle grabber. You can make your own out of very thin leather, but these ones are excellent :)

Reactions: SaraR

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thanks all realy helpful

particularly those needle grabbers I usually end up breaking a needle or 2 using plyers

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Speedy stitchers are great and allow you to handle the needle safely. If you're buying one and there's an option to buy additional needles do so. Something like canvas can blunt a needle quickly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For my leather work I use mole grips for pulling the needles through, even with pre-punched holes. I struggle to grip such a small item with much force.

Rheumatoid arthritis left me with absolutely no pinch grip for a while. Thankfully it has eased greatly, but those needle grabbers are really really good things.
I used to use a thin piece of leather, but with time that becomes slippy. The needle grabbers always grab. After a couple of years of use they become brittle and I open a new pack. For what they cost, which at first seems extortionate for such tiny wee things, they are well worth it, they really are.

The other thing that I found helpful were silicon thimbles. Normally I use a metal thimble on the middle finger of my right hand (I still have my tiny childhood ones :) ) but if sewing something heavy, hard going and thick, I find that using a silicon thimble on my thumb and forefinger negates any need to use a pair of pliers to get the needle through, and no worries about crushing and breaking the needle or eye.

The other tool that is very much worth having is a sail maker's palm. It's meant for use when sewing canvas by hand. I still have my Dad's but it's huge on me. I made one for myself and used a coin as the metal push plate. It lets me use the whole strength of my hand, wrist and forearm to get the needle through safely.

M

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
This is a brilliant and timely post! I have to patch several areas on my boat cover where a combination of wear and cat scratching has torn the cover on the edges. Could I ask, what would be the best process for doing this. The patches will be approximately 4x6" through thick canvas...doubled in places! Do I hem/ edge the patches first? What would be the best stitch?

Many thanks j

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
Depending on the patch material you could fold the hem then crease it with the back of a screwdriver handle or similar, heavy duty scissors work. If it wont stay you could use wunderweb or tack it with a different coloured thread and pull it out afterwards. Depends how neat you want to make it so best to just sew it the once. If doing it by hand you can grease the thread with beeswax and also rub a block of beeeswax over the finished stich lines afterwards.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Uncleboob, you've probably done the task already. I found that a folded hem will staple in position very easily while you sew, basting tape is better, but expensive for small repairs.
Ceeg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use a Speedy Stitcher for both soft leather and canvas. I can buy spare needles and 3 sizes of waxed linen thread.
Took me a little practice to get into a rhythm for quality stitching. Have to practice every time as I rarely need it.
The factory-supplied needle was so sharp that the very first thing I stitched was my right index finger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE